PDA

View Full Version : Randy's 2 part Alkalinity question

EdReefer
05/12/2011, 07:55 PM
Hey guys,
I've been trying for a few hours to dissolve the 2nd part of the alkalinity mix into water. I was able to break apart the solids as specified in the instructions, but the overall baking soda is still there and sinks to the bottom even after i warmed it up significantly. Is it supposed to dissolve completely??? If not, should I shake the mixture and use as is or do I have to just use the clear water above the settled particles???

Fishingpcola
05/12/2011, 08:45 PM
I heat my water up before adding the baking soda and it dissolves fine.

EdReefer
05/12/2011, 08:51 PM
How long does it take you? I used the 2 1/4 cups per 1 gallon. I attempted to dissolve it in 1/2 gallon as suggested. I poured the baking soda into the water as soon as I pulled it out of the oven. I'm even thinking of putting a powerhead in there overnight or something...

Finland
05/12/2011, 08:52 PM
I found if you add a little at a time, mix it up really well, then add some more, and so on, it makes it easier. Warming the water helps also. The 1st time I mixed some up, I dumped all the baking soda in at once. I didn't think it would ever dissolve. And yes, I would make sure it is completely dissolved.

EdReefer
05/12/2011, 08:58 PM
Hey, those comments are greatly appreciated. I was breaking my head trying to decide what to do. I just put the powerhead in. I'll give it some time. Thanks again.

bertoni
05/13/2011, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't expect 2 1/4 cups of baked baking soda to dissolve very well in 1/2 gallon. Are you making the high-pH (soda ash, baked baking soda version), or the low-pH (plain baking soda) version?

If you boil the water, it should dissolve the baking soda or soda ash into 1 g of water. If you're using plain baking soda, it might take a fair amount of boiling.

vic8361
05/13/2011, 10:48 PM
I was having the same problem with it clumping into rocks.
I used to try and stir the water in a small bucket while adding it.
Now I put a power head in the bucket and add slowly and it all dissovles with out any rocks left over.
Vic