PDA

View Full Version : Help with identifying

sc8525
05/12/2011, 10:03 PM
Hi I am new to the forum. I have been lurking for a while learning as much as I can from other peoples questions and post. I finally have a reason to create an account and become involved. I have a 125g Bowfront that has been up and running for a little over 2 years and today when I came home from work I noticed the little guy in the pictures (that I hope I attached to this post correctly) I know the pictures are not great but I could not get a real good angle to get a good picture. If he moves out into the open I will get a better picture. Any help with what this little guy is and if he is reef safe would be greatly appreciated.

schoch79
05/12/2011, 10:07 PM
Might be just me but it kinda looks like a ?pencil? urchin. Not sure if thats exactly what its called but without looking more on the net thats the best I can try to remember the name is. Then again I'm not sure exactly what I am looking at and maybe what I'm seeing as urchin spikes may be coral or something lol.

sc8525
05/12/2011, 10:10 PM
ya the pictures are not the best my lights just turned off and he is starting to move so I think i will isolate him if he gets in the open at all and get a better picture.

ludiNano
05/12/2011, 11:45 PM
Welcome to RC.

I agree it looks like an urchin. But we should be able to help more with the more open photo.

Rockys_Pride
05/12/2011, 11:48 PM
Welcome.

Maybe you can lure him out with some food. Pulling an urchin off rock is tough, unless you can chip the rock out from under him. Don't get poked in the process.

sc8525
05/13/2011, 12:14 PM
Well I got him off the rock unfortunatly when i was getting him off he cracked in half so I inadvertently killed him but here is a picture out of the tank. Its pretty crazy what will come crawling out of the rock work even after two years. I had a teddy bear crab show up a few months ago he was way hard to find and get out of the tank. So I probably over reacted with this guy after the destruction the crab wreaked on my tank.