PDA

View Full Version : Should I be a little worried?

Tmot99
05/13/2011, 08:43 AM
I don't mean to sound like a worry-wart, but I've made some changes in my tank and just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

I've had my 29g nano for about 7 weeks. My parameters have all been in "normal" range, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates, Phosphates all at zero. pH and alkalinity have always been on the low side (pH about 8.0, Alk at 9-10). Salinity is 1.022. I have coral only except for a CUC of a few different snails, a couple of hermits, and a peppermint shrimp.

Coral population is a bunch of zoas, a small trumpet, GSP, xenia, a fox, a slipper coral, a montipora cap, favia, an acan frag, branching hammer, a few ricordia, and a clove polyp. Everyone has been happy for weeks.

This week, I added a sun coral. I know, not smart for the beginner, but I think I can handle the feeding without any problems and they just look cool. But I have been feeding them the past 3 days trying to get them comfortable at home and they have been responding nicely. But there has been plenty of food that has gone to the floor of the tank. I understand that this can cause issues, which is the purpose of my post.

We are at day 4 of having the sun coral. I did a water change yesterday and have now retested all my parameters. The results are:
pH=7.7
Alkalinity=9
Phosphates=0
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0.3
Nitrate=0
Calcium=480
Salinity=1.022

I have added some buffer to get the pH back up. But should I be concerned with the nitrite going up? Now that the sun coral is opening up a lot more, I am going to back off on the feedings to every other day, plus now that they are open, it is a lot easier to spot feed and not have waste in the tank.

tmz
05/13/2011, 09:56 AM
I'd be concerned with sg of 1.022 for corals and inverts.. 1.0264 is the nsw average ; a corals range of tolerance for variation is limited as tehy are isotonic and can't osmoregulate.

The NO2, nitrite, won't harm anything but likely indicates ammonia preceded it from the decaying extra food .

The ph drop indicates more CO2 in the water,probably from the bacterial activity associated with the decay. Chasing ph with buffers is not a good strategy, since they raise alkalinity and any effect on ph is short lived as new CO2 enters the water from the air .

I'd siphon up the food on the floor ;run some gac( granulated activated carbon) and make sure the skimmer is functioning proerly.

Tmot99
05/13/2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks. I'll work on upping salinity slowly. I've already sucked up a lot of the food, but I am sure there is some where I can't see or reach it.

tmz
05/13/2011, 12:34 PM
You are welcome. Good luck.