View Full Version : Apex & ATO floats & programming

110galreef
05/15/2011, 10:35 AM
Ok, so I am trying to get everything up & running:

3 floats from chicago sensor:
float 1 is the main float to turn on ATO pump when water drops
float 2 is for a low sump level condition
float 3 is for a High sump level.

These come Normally closed. Do I want them all as is or invert the float to Normally open or what? NOT SUR EI UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCE of NO opposed to NC. it seems that just changing the code to compensate will work, but I am sure there are issues that can arise if something fails & the NC or NO is wrong......

If all NO:
How does this look for program:
If Switch1 CLOSED then ON
If Switch3 OPEN then OFF
Thanks,

110galreef
05/15/2011, 10:40 AM
Another question is for low sump switch, I want it to turn off the return pump & heater outlets if it gets too low as well as send an email. How do i get it to stay OFF tho when off, because when it shuts off the RETURN pump, it will back spihon some water out of the diplay and thus raise the float to its normal position. I don't want anything to turn back on till I fix the issue.

110galreef
05/15/2011, 11:22 AM
ignore

110galreef
05/15/2011, 12:12 PM
If Switch1 CLOSED then ON
If Switch3 OPEN then OFF

Well I left them as NC:

Went with this:

Set OFF
If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON
If Switch3 OPEN Then OFF
and it seems to work just fine. And if i disconnect one of the wires it seems to end with the outlet/pump off. So any issues seen here?

swearint
05/15/2011, 07:54 PM
It depends on the application. The Apex switch default state is OPEN when nothing is connected. This is important if the float is accidentally disconnected or fails OPEN. So for example, an ATO application would be safest with OPEN keeping the outlet OFF.

Todd

110galreef
05/16/2011, 10:24 AM
well then that explains I guess why the code I have currently works. If a lead becomes unplugeed, it default to OPEn and in the open condition the outlet is coded to be off, thus NO water.

110galreef
05/16/2011, 10:25 AM
ALSO anyone know how to set it so that the pump only cycles on every 4 hrs at a minimum so not to run say every hr?

do i use the defer stmt at the end

insomniac2k2
05/16/2011, 10:46 AM
You would use OSC preferably, although in my case I used If time. I stagger mine with water changes, and its easier to play with if time until i get everything all worked out to my liking.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2016500&highlight=ato might have something helpful in there. Todd is a great resource btw!

swearint
05/16/2011, 01:10 PM
ALSO anyone know how to set it so that the pump only cycles on every 4 hrs at a minimum so not to run say every hr?

do i use the defer stmt at the end
Here is an old post where I described my approach to do that:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17885094&postcount=9

Todd