PDA

View Full Version : Ich?

AmberL
05/15/2011, 01:06 PM
I have a juvenile hippo tang in my QT. I was going to move him today (along with the porcupine puffer that was in QT too), but I noticed ONE tiny white spot on the side of him. How do I know if this is ich or something else? Doesn't ich normally affect the gill area first? This fish hides all the time, so I don't know how long this spot has been there. I only saw it today because I placed him in my Reef Gently Acclimator. Both fish are back in the QT for now.

If it is ich, do you recommend hypo salinity, or medication?

crobattt
05/15/2011, 01:25 PM
is it eating well?

AmberL
05/15/2011, 01:32 PM
Yes, he just ate. He's just as aggressive of an eater as the puffer.

jcw
05/15/2011, 01:33 PM
There are a lot of unanswered questions like how long they've been in qt, were they actively treated, where did you buy them, does your store have a qt policy you trust, etc...

What I would do with the information at hand is leave them in qt for another 2-4 weeks to see what those spots do.

This is why I have constantly been upgrading and modifying my observation/qt to be as self-sufficient as possible.

I've made the mistake of putting a fish into the dt too early and I got ich.

Never again. The dt is worth more to me ich free than any new fish.

Currently have 4 reef chromis in observation and they intermittently have spots on them. Not sure of the significance since the spots look larger than ich. Regardless, they are going to remain in qt until the spots are gone and then for hoepfully 6 weeks more.

AmberL
05/15/2011, 01:41 PM
They have been in my QT for 10 days. My LFS quarantines the fish when they come in. Most the customers at this store do not QT because of the store's history and reputation. My LFS said after their QT process, I only needed to QT for 5-7 days for my own peace of mind, but Ive been doing 10. The fish are only medicated at the LFS if they appear ill.

MrTuskfish
05/15/2011, 03:01 PM
They have been in my QT for 10 days. My LFS quarantines the fish when they come in. Most the customers at this store do not QT because of the store's history and reputation. My LFS said after their QT process, I only needed to QT for 5-7 days for my own peace of mind, but Ive been doing 10. The fish are only medicated at the LFS if they appear ill.
I think Diver's Den is the best source for most fish in the world and know many folks on this forum would agree.. They QT everything, but still suggest you do a full 3 weeks of QT minimum. Depending on any LFS to properly QT fish is a big mistake, made may countless hobbyists. Get into the right habit now, it will pay off.

AmberL
05/16/2011, 06:11 PM
There's no bump like I've read is characteristic of ich. It does look like he has a slime coating over the area that has the white spot.