PDA

View Full Version : Coralline Growth

Reeferz412
05/15/2011, 01:10 PM
My reef tank is about 3 months of age and is already well cycled with the LR and contains 1 clown and a peppermint shrimp. My parameters are IDEAL for coralline growth and it is showing already :D I dose proper amount of calcium to enable rapid growth (or at least I think I am) and my calcium is about 460-480. A month ago I purchased a rock covered in purple coralline and scraped it once a week to allow propogation in my tank. I now have more green coralline than purple. I do have a lot of pink everywhere but more green. Yes it is a tough green formation and no it is not nuissance algae. Will this mean I have a green coralline reef tank? Or is the green going to turn into pink then purple? I am confused due to reading so many forums >.< any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

cloak
05/15/2011, 01:13 PM
It should turn into either pink or purple, depending on the lighting you have. When I used to run all VHO's I was getting mostly purple. Now I have MH and I'm getting pink. They both started with that hard green algae on the glass/rocks though.

Reeferz412
05/15/2011, 01:58 PM
Ok, wow then I should be expecting a lot of pink or purple in the upcoming future. Thank you! My lighting is about to change actually. I have an odyssea 4x24 T5 fixture as a temp. My coralife 150w halide is comin in the mail with a brand new phoenix 14k.

xtlosx
05/15/2011, 05:12 PM
The way I did it was, my base rockscape was all base dead rock cemented together, with about 2x the weight of the base rock in live rock stacked on top of it... For weeks, and almost months the rock stayed white, the started to turn green, now I see pink coraline specks all over the rock, and now my overflow! The coraline is quickly taking over... Our tank is now 3 months old and it's looking awesome!! Be patient!