PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor

humaguy
05/17/2011, 06:56 AM
Hey, I have not made plans to put a CR on my incoming beast of a tank
(130 x 37 x37)...
It will be fowlr...how many of you have a CR hooked-up to a fowlr???
I don't think it is neccessary as I wont have corals in it...but what about the live rock and live sand??

Any thoughts?

rachenbrazil
05/17/2011, 09:28 AM
I have one small unit, it does help to keep pH stable...which is good for the fishes for sure

Recty
05/17/2011, 10:13 AM
I think very very few people hook up calcium reactors to their FOWLR. It's not necessary to keep fish healthy.

humaguy
05/17/2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks...I thought so, but...
What about the benefits to live rock? If there are benefits to live rock.... then...
healthier live rock= healthier tank= healthier fish...
Is this fair?
If the benefits are non-existant then it's a mute point...
Appreciate the advice!
TK

Recty
05/17/2011, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure how you think high calcium levels will help your live rock... but I'd be interested to hear.

humaguy
05/18/2011, 04:22 AM
Not really speaking about it in terms of just the live per se but the overall health of the tank...thinking is, even without coral the tank will still have crustaceans, mollusks, and macroalgae, and in order to maintain a stable ph of 8.4ish and alkalinity around 8dkh to keep them happy what else would you recommend? Getting the calcium to 420 is going to improve the overall chemistry of the water which by default, if achieved will have a positive overall effect on all tank inhabitants...why not try and replicate the natural parameters of the ocean, to the best possible degree, if it can be done...bound to make things more comfortable for everything in the tank...bottom line, it is about water quality, how could maintaining proper calcium and mag levels even in a fowlr not have some beneficial qualities?

SDguy
05/18/2011, 07:39 AM
I can see wanting to keep ca/alk up to get your LR all nice and pink/purple with coraline, and possibly whatever else might grow out of it that needs ca/alk. However, I would think occasional dosing of two-part, or even better, kalk, is the way to go. Ca reactors actually can depress pH a bit, which I would think is even more of an issue on a FOWLR.

the new mcdoubl
05/18/2011, 07:49 AM
a calcium reactor is for someone whos tank is using enough calcium that its a pain in the but to keep up with it. if you dont have a bunch of corals or clams then your tank isnt going to use calcium very fast at all. Stability is a good thing but a calcium reactor would be way overkill.

humaguy
05/18/2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks SD!...was thinking it might be overkill but am seeking to get the best possible water parameters I can...thought limewater or kalk might be the best route, but a such a pita!...the tank will have a peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp population and some clams and scallops to keep the triggers occupied...thanks mcd!