PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Hose Clamp

ccolt1
05/17/2011, 08:16 AM
I was wondering how to remove these special plastic aquarium clamps? I am new to these clamps so I could use some help in there removal. Thanks!

ReeferBill
05/17/2011, 08:23 AM
I think they are like the plastic zip ties for wires and you have to figure out how to open it by using a straight slot screw driver .Try different sides of the locking mechanism to hold pressure on the latch while unloosening You have to hold the gear part out of the way to unlock and open it..Or just snip it off and put a new one or stainless hose clamp.:hammer::wildone::bounce2::fish1:

gh0st
05/17/2011, 08:57 AM
Depends on the style of clamp.

Some are like Reefer Bill mentioned above, similar to a zip tie.

If not, take a flat screwdriver, key or other hard thin object. If you look at the clam from the side, it probably kind of looks like two alligator mouths facing each other, that lock with the opposite mouth when the clamp is closed.
Just put the screwdriver, key, etc against one of the inside "jaws" and push it gently sideways, and out of the other side of the clamp.

Be careful, they can be stubborn, and you don't want to stab a hose, aquarium glass, or yourself when the clamp lets go.

If that doesn't help, post a pic of the clamp in question.

Rockys_Pride
05/17/2011, 08:59 AM
Depends on the style of clamp.

Some are like Reefer Bill mentioned above, similar to a zip tie.

If not, take a flat screwdriver, key or other hard thin object. If you look at the clam from the side, it probably kind of looks like two alligator mouths facing each other, that lock with the opposite mouth when the clamp is closed.
Just put the screwdriver, key, etc against one of the inside "jaws" and push it gently sideways, and out of the other side of the clamp.

Be careful, they can be stubborn, and you don't want to stab a hose, aquarium glass, or yourself when the clamp lets go.

If that doesn't help, post a pic of the clamp in question.

+1, except I'm tool challenged and just use my hands.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk