PDA

View Full Version : So Many Questions

InOvrMyHead
05/17/2011, 07:30 PM
Hello everyone,

I currently have a 14g BioCube that was given to me. I did not start the tank myself and have not started one yet. I am starting a new mixed reef tank very soon, I am just waiting on the tank! I have a 60g tank w/ a 30g refugium, Apex AquaController w/ VDM, 3 AI Sol Super Blue led lights and adding a few more types I just don't know which ones yet, SWC 160 cone skimmer, Eheim 1262 return pump, 2 Tunze 6025.

Question 1: I don't know if I should dose calcium or get a reactor. With my size tank what would be more cost effective in the long run?

Question 2: Should I buy LS or DS and add a few cups of LS? If I buy LS should you get it from the LFS or online? Is the bagged LS any good?

Question 3: I am not sure if I am going to go with a deep sand bed for my refugium or with refugium mud. Is one better than the other?

If anybody has answers to these questions I would greatly appreciate the help in my decision making. TYVM

disc1
05/17/2011, 07:35 PM
1: 6 or half dozen. I don't like dealing with the CO2 so I do 2-part.

2: Bagged LS isn't really what we mean by live sand. Get dry sand and seed it from someones tank.

3: 1 vote against Mud.

Hookup
05/17/2011, 07:36 PM
1: 6 or half dozen. I don't like dealing with the co2 so i do 2-part.

2: Bagged ls isn't really what we mean by live sand. Get dry sand and seed it from someones tank.

3: 1 vote against mud.

+1

jlylec
05/17/2011, 07:47 PM
1: 6 or half dozen. I don't like dealing with the CO2 so I do 2-part.

2: Bagged LS isn't really what we mean by live sand. Get dry sand and seed it from someones tank.

3: 1 vote against Mud.

You don't sound too in over your head. You've got a good equipment list and sounds like you've done your homework. Just keep reading places like this and asking questions. That's what I did and I'm no expert, but I certainly know a LOT more know.

1. You really won't need to dose or run a calcium reactor at first. If you do regular water changes you can almost avoid one all together unless you have a ton of stoney corals. Once you have a lot of coral and see their growth start to slow down just test calcium regularly and see how quickly it drops after doing a water change. If it drops pretty fast a calcium reactor is probably the best way to go. Easy to add later. In months/years...not weeks.

2. +1 to the guy above...I went with dry rock and sand since you can control pests better that way and just add what you actually want in there.

3. Look into using rock rubble instead of sand or mud. This enables you to increase the biological filtration in the tank without introducing a potential long term problem. there is a LOT of chatter on this site on this subject. People are very opinionated about this, but I couldn't find anyone who said rock rubble could ever be a problem, so that's what I did.

good luck!

InOvrMyHead
05/18/2011, 04:15 AM
Thank you for your help. I have made up my decision to go with DS and add some LS. I will wait on the reactor. I also have my mind made up that rock rubble will be a great choice, because I also want to grow copepods aka cocopuffs so I can have a Mandarin. Please don't give me crap about the Mandarin. I went diving in the Lembeh Strait in Indonesia and they are my favorite fish of all time so I am going to give it my all to keep 1 if not 2 alive in a tank. If I get 2 I will try to get a mated pair. They are so beautiful and amazing when they mate!