PDA

View Full Version : Fish stuck in overflow

thelizardkin
05/17/2011, 07:54 PM
I have a purple tang that jumped into my overflow it's been in there a few months the overflow is 30" tall and is full of pipes any tips on getting it out

tkeracer619
05/17/2011, 08:00 PM
bend a net skinny enough to get it in there.

The standard flush it out probably won't work for a tang unless its tiny.

Last resort is a tiny hook that you file the barb off. Some fishing line. Some food.... rest is history.

BrokeColoReefer
05/17/2011, 08:06 PM
just pull the durso out of the overflow and let it drain, once its empty of water reach in there and grab him.

sminker
05/17/2011, 08:16 PM
just pull the durso out of the overflow and let it drain, once its empty of water reach in there and grab him.

+1 that's what I do. My stupid clowns sleep in the corner against the overflow and end up getting in there once every couple weeks. I'll punish them and leave them in there upto to a week sometimes. Then when I'm nice I pull them out and scold them saying "Bad Fish!" I don't think it works though since they keep doing it. Kinda like my kids.

BrokeColoReefer
05/17/2011, 08:39 PM
why is it that tangs manage a way to find themselves in a overflow.. when a yellow tail damsel wont... only this fish you want find them selves on the floor or the overflow :/

dublo8
05/17/2011, 09:59 PM
LOL how do you leave a tang in the overflow for months. That's a long freaking time.

thelizardkin
05/17/2011, 10:29 PM

i can try but its 30" deep and very hard to get into

BigRick
05/18/2011, 11:59 AM
My Clowns used to do that in my bowfront

tkeracer619
05/18/2011, 07:40 PM
Grabbing a tang can end with a scar. Been there done that. Would do it again if I needed to. I would rather go fishing with a barb-less hook.

Seriously. It won't hurt the fish.

cilyjr
05/18/2011, 08:55 PM
When I have had fish in the overflow I goto the drain and put a net over the end pipe. Then I pull the durso if he dose not take mr toads wild ride I fish him out. With a tang I would wear like 3 pairs of latex gloves because a tangs surgeon spike is no joke!

thelizardkin
05/21/2011, 01:48 PM
LOL how do you leave a tang in the overflow for months. That's a long freaking time.

We hve a guy who does work on our tank and we kept telling him to do it but he kept forgetting and not showing up and when he would show up he wouldn't call so we didn't unlock the door and finaly he's going to do it and says there's not a net long and skinny enough

Chromey316
05/21/2011, 05:25 PM
fire that guy, Sounds like a twit. I have at least 3 nets 28" long.

tlo25
05/21/2011, 11:17 PM
LOL, so who says tangs need a long tank?
J/k

collie man
05/21/2011, 11:37 PM
where are you located? i service tanks all over thousand oaks and malibu and none of my customers would tolerate that kind of behavior.

as for the tang... try and pull the durso or get a small net. the barbless hook is a good idea but it seems like some unneeded stress for a TANG who has been cooped up inside and overflow.

where are the tang police lol? you hear then *****ing about a tang in a 50 gallon but not a 5 gallon overflow...i love it! good luck with your fishing.

thelizardkin
05/22/2011, 02:25 AM
i'm in portland and his is the biggest store in the area like there's never less then 5 people in his store and he's moving so we kinda understand and the overflow is more like 50 gallons

ser_renely
05/22/2011, 04:53 AM
*** months? Thats sad...

kb1916
05/22/2011, 07:02 AM
use 2 nets. one wide enough to block the overflow. stick this one in to force the tang up towards the top. then use the other to grab him.

Dr Colliebreath
05/22/2011, 09:39 AM
i'm in portland and his is the biggest store in the area like there's never less then 5 people in his store and he's moving so we kinda understand and the overflow is more like 50 gallons

A 50 gallon overflow? That is pretty large, how big is the tank?

Cut off your main pump to stop the overflow from filling, then mostly drain the overflow either by removing the exit standpipes or with a siphon. You should be able to catch the tang if the water level in the overflow is low enough.

Can you post pics? I am guessing this is harder than it sounds due to your setup as you haven't got the fish yet. Is the overflow in an inaccessible place (e.g., at the back of a 3' wide tank, which might explain why you can't get on a ladder and reach the bottom)? Do you have any 7' friends with long arms?

If you can't get a long enough net at a lfs or pet store, you might be able to extend the handle by attaching a 3', 1/4" dowel to your net with electrical ties.

Let us know how it works out.

lordofthereef
05/22/2011, 12:15 PM
Er.. the fish has been in the overflow a few months?

thelizardkin
05/22/2011, 03:54 PM
A 50 gallon overflow? That is pretty large, how big is the tank?

Cut off your main pump to stop the overflow from filling, then mostly drain the overflow either by removing the exit standpipes or with a siphon. You should be able to catch the tang if the water level in the overflow is low enough.

Can you post pics? I am guessing this is harder than it sounds due to your setup as you haven't got the fish yet. Is the overflow in an inaccessible place (e.g., at the back of a 3' wide tank, which might explain why you can't get on a ladder and reach the bottom)? Do you have any 7' friends with long arms?

If you can't get a long enough net at a lfs or pet store, you might be able to extend the handle by attaching a 3', 1/4" dowel to your net with electrical ties.

Here's a pic http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae179/Vivbulider/5b8e83f9.jpg
The tank is 400 gallons and its in the wall the overflow is on the side but it has a very small opening and the tank is very hard to get into
Let us know how it works out.

Dr Colliebreath
05/23/2011, 06:00 PM
If you can't drain the water enough to net the fish, based on your picture I would try a very small baited hook. They make small Sabiki rigs/hooks for catching small baitfish. Check your local fishing tackle store.

It shouldn't hurt the fish as their mouths are pretty much cartilage and flesh. Just hook it quickly and don't let it swallow the hook.

The question is whether you can find something the fish will want to eat. You might try a piece of seafood or a piece of worm - earthworm or bloodworm.

ezerasurfr
05/23/2011, 06:08 PM
squeeze a trap in there with food in it. i would be weary with a hook (even barb less) as tangs with damaged mouths won't eat. just on the side of caution, not meant to flame or attack those suggesting the hook method.

a cone shaped trap would probably fit best and give the fastest results. let us know how it turns out.

Dr Colliebreath
05/23/2011, 08:46 PM
I agree hooking is a last resort and won't be good for the fish, but it isn't looking good for the tang anyway. With the tang having been there so long and the description of the overflow having a small opening and the tank being hard to get into, I expect the many suggestions that have been made won't work due to the structure of the overflow and access to it or the tang would have been captured already. Looking at the picture, it looks like even if the overflow is 10x16, there is some relatively permanent structure covering most of the top of the overflow so that you only have 3-4" to get into. I still like dropping the water level in the overflow and using a long net, but ...

gradth
05/24/2011, 07:36 PM

If its the store Im guessing, no wonder. Yes you should fire him, there are 5 other stores in the area that are far better then his store. Hell join the local http://www.pnwmas.orgclub if you have not and find a dozen people that would come help you do it.

Seriously, if your refering to that store on Sandy, find another.