PDA

View Full Version : LIGHTING question: Do I need to supplement my 20K MHs with actinics, or??

JohnnyAirtime
05/18/2011, 10:01 AM
Alright folks....

I've been out of the Metal Halide arena for quite some time. Say, 18yrs or so. And now, I'm setting up my 240gal to use MHs. Four 250W halides to be specific.

I'm wondering, if I run 20,000K halides... do I still need to supplement my corals with actinics (for coral growth...etc)?! (other than for my taste in the color of the corals).

I do understand not all 15K or 20K halides are created equal. Some better than others for PAR or coloring. No problem there... I just want to know the general consensus of what people are using and 'getting away with' above their reef tanks.

Currently, the corals are under T5s. Those T5s are Actinic+, 10K, and Fiji Purple (for great color).

Corals are all Softies or LPS. No SPS. And all corals are growing great and doing VERY well.

Lastly, I know I can go with 10K halides and supplement with T5 Actinics or other, but I'm trying to keep from having to add too much T5 to the canopy. Hence the reason to run 20K, or so I think (this is why I need the help, or am asking the question).

What do ya think?? What are you using??

CustomNanoz
05/18/2011, 10:16 AM
i would go 14k plus actinics it is blue but not space museum blue were everything looks fake! ^it is a good combo

JohnnyAirtime
05/18/2011, 11:43 AM
i would go 14k plus actinics it is blue but not space museum blue were everything looks fake! ^it is a good combo

... this is what you use, or have used? ... or just what your recommending?

And why are you recommending it?

AcroporAddict
05/18/2011, 12:50 PM
No supplementation needed if you use Radium halides.

alton
05/18/2011, 12:52 PM
In the world of "Ultra Corals" you can not run too much Actinics. I run 160w VHO super actinic with my 3 radium MH lamps. Not for growth, but for looks.

JohnnyAirtime
05/18/2011, 01:13 PM
How about if I use 14k?? What's the requirement then?

Standard T5 actinic ... etc? I'd rather be on the safe side.

AcroporAddict
05/18/2011, 04:27 PM
In the world of "Ultra Corals" you can not run too much Actinics. I run 160w VHO super actinic with my 3 radium MH lamps. Not for growth, but for looks.

I use actinic LED strips for that.

RyanAlan
05/18/2011, 04:48 PM
I use 2 x 250w, 14K Phoenix SE bulbs. These are very blue IMO and I would not recommend and supplemental lighting.

I think you can personally get away without any actinic lighting with 20K bulbs, but it just depends on your personal preference.

Try it without first, but leave some room to make adjustments if needed.

JohnnyAirtime
05/24/2011, 12:23 PM
I ordered the "Plusrite 14K" 250W halides
(the 20K weren't in stock at the time - and I couldn't beat the price!)

I've heard these aren't as blue as some other brands, and that's okay. I can always add supplemental T5 lighting (as I plan on adding Fiji Purple anyway).

So, if I use these 14K... should I do "Actinic+" or ...??
What are YOU using, or what do you recommend??

OR... how about some more info on the LED Actinics?? How many to use that would supplement an 8' tank that's 24" deep. Or that would replace (2) 48" 54W T5 HO Actinics?!

JohnnyAirtime
05/28/2011, 09:06 AM
Anyone??

I ordered the "Plusrite 14K" 250W halides
(the 20K weren't in stock at the time - and I couldn't beat the price!)

I've heard these aren't as blue as some other brands, and that's okay. I can always add supplemental T5 lighting (as I plan on adding Fiji Purple anyway).

So, if I use these 14K... should I do "Actinic+" or ...??
What are YOU using, or what do you recommend??

OR... how about some more info on the LED Actinics?? How many to use that would supplement an 8' tank that's 24" deep. Or that would replace (2) 48" 54W T5 HO Actinics?!

grigsy
05/30/2011, 08:22 PM
No, with 20K bulbs, you wont need to suppliment - if you dont want too.

They will be blue enough looking just by themselves.

JohnnyAirtime
05/30/2011, 11:16 PM
No, with 20K bulbs, you wont need to suppliment - if you dont want too.

They will be blue enough looking just by themselves.

I didn't get the 20K. It's a null issue.

... the question is now about the 14K halide and what to supplement it with.

alton
05/31/2011, 05:20 AM
I use 1-160w VHO Super Actinic on my 300 with 3-250w Radium lamps. I have it on an hour before the MH. I have used only reeflux with no actinic in the past, but I like the look of using both reeflux and or radium combined.

JohnnyAirtime
06/06/2011, 10:19 AM
I didn't get the 20K. It's a null issue.

... the question is now about the 14K halide and what to supplement it with.

Anyone?

Enyo
06/06/2011, 12:14 PM
This thread gave me a headache.

Just do it, jesus.

JohnnyAirtime
06/06/2011, 12:20 PM
This thread gave me a headache.

Just do it, jesus.

... then take some aspirin.

To "just do it", you need to have something to do. Thanks for your words of wisdom, but... there is none. :rolleyes:

What assistance does your post offer? oh... none, so why even post?! (that's rhetorical, so no need to answer)

... :debi:

Zebodog
06/06/2011, 01:03 PM
You shouldn't need to with quality bulbs, but you may want to for added flexibility.

I run 2X250W Hamilton 14k with 4XT5HO (UVL SuperActinic, Purple Plus and 2XHamilton Actinic.) I use the T5's for dawn/dusk and find the Purple Plus gives my reds/pinks a nice pop.

If you've got the room and the money, I see no reason not to add them to the canopy - you don't have to use them all the time.

Orcrone
06/06/2011, 01:47 PM
The DT at my LFS just uses 20K metal halides, never turns on the T5s in his lighting fixture and it looks good and he gets good growth. I don't remember what bulbs he uses and can't speak about the ones you've purchased. But why not just try them first? See how they look and see how the corals do. If you're happy and they're happy don't bother with the actinics. Otherwise you could always add them later.

alton
06/06/2011, 03:30 PM
Let me try this one more time actinic are in the 420 nm range makes everything glow. Lamps in the 460 nm range are very blue and makes your tank color blue. You need to find out the spectrum range of your lamps? Just because a lamp claims it is 14K means nothing. I had 12K reeflux and they are more blue than my 20K Radium.
The following is an atttachment of what I am trying to explain about light spectrums;
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/3/review#section-1
As far as what look? That is in the eyes of the beholder good luck on what ever you decide

JohnnyAirtime
06/06/2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks fellas...

I'll go ahead and mock up the lights and see what I get. I'll also just plan on adding the T5s to the mix as it'll be my lights-on transition. Worst case, I'll turn'em off.

Thanks for all your help. Time to get building!