PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Bridge Through a Computer

gerbilbox
05/18/2011, 12:03 PM
Like others, I'm pretty excited about the new Apex Jr. coming soon. I don't mind that it lacks a screen but it does bring about a conumdrum of how to connect it to the Internet with just an ethernet port to access it. Would I be able to connect the Apex's ethernet directly to my computer's ethernet and setup my computer to act as an ethernet-to-wifi bridge? Will that work to accesss the Apex via Internet? I'm assuming it will be similar to setup existing Apex controllers.

My wifi router is on the opposite side of my apartment, but my MacBook Pro is a mere 10 feet from my tank and its easy to setup an ethernet bridge on it (although I've haven't tested it with another computer, yet). Presumably it would require a crossover cable, which I have. Has anyone tried this? I would prefer doing it this way over cause it doesn't require any additional hardware like a wifi module or gaming adapter. Thanks!

RussM
05/18/2011, 06:00 PM
Yes, you can do that with your MacBook. Google "Mac bridge network connections " for how-to instructions. But, there are multiple drawbacks, especially if you want access to the Apex from the Internet. And if you take the MacBook somewhere ( like on a trip), the Apex won't be able to send alarm emails. I think you'd be much better off investing $50-60 in a wireless gaming adapter like the Netgear WNCE2001. Or, if you prefer Apple gear, an Airport Express.

gerbilbox
05/18/2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks, I just wanted confirmation that the setup works although I didn't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

The drawback is not that big of an issue initially. I went on vacation recently and kept my MacBook at home, but I took my iPod Touch with me to check emails and maps. Conceivably I could have kept my computer on at home and still check the aquarium status with my iPod. In the long run it'll be better to have a separate wireless bridge, but in the beginning I can cut a minor corner and still make it work.