PDA

View Full Version : What to do with live rock that has algae and bristle worms

throughstream
05/19/2011, 04:38 AM
Hi well this is a bit of a long story so ill try and keep to the key points. Basically I noticed in my 60g display tank that one of my clown fish was unwell so I thought I'd invest in an quaratine tank first I bought a 15g tank which I set up with eheim filter. I then noticed that someone local was selling I big 35g tank set up with live rock and no fish. Great! So I bought that on the cheap. I wanted to use copper to treat my clown fish so I put the live rock in the 15g tank. However the live rock was absalutly covered in green hair/net algae and when I turned off the lights I was in for a suprise I litrally couldn't see the live rock for bristle worms!! Anyhoo I adding some phosphate remover in a filter bag to try and kill off the alage. A few days later I noticed that the water was cloudy and a large amount of brissle worms were dead on the bottom of the tank (YAY! tho not sure why) and also the tank is getting smelly. lol its like a sea bed of them. My question is, I ideally want to kill off the brissle worms and the alage and aventually have decent live rock to use in my main tank. Is it easier just to put it in a dry dustbin and just leave everything to die off and then cure the dead rock from scratch?
Thankyou for any suggestions
Dave

jeff@zina.com
05/19/2011, 06:29 AM
Use the Search option and go through the posts on curing live rock, removing algae and removing bristle worms. There are less drastic options than nuking it, if you want to try them.

Jeff

shifty51008
05/19/2011, 06:31 AM
if you don't want the worms send them to me, they are a great addition to your cleanup crew.

NewOne81
05/19/2011, 08:19 AM
guess it depends on how long you're willing to wait

Sk8r
05/19/2011, 09:09 AM
Honestly, if there's no caulerpa algae I'd use it without curing without hesitation. Bristleworm populations die back naturally if food declines, and curing would remove not only that necessary species, but many other good ones. On the other hand, if you have caulerpa on that rock, you may be better off to sacrifice those to get that stuff killed.