PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate Reduction

Bnortz
05/19/2011, 08:50 PM
Hey guys,

My tank has recently been an algae-haven and I'm looking for the best possible way to eliminate phosphates, which I know is the problem. I'm using RO/DI water so I know that isn't the issue. My tank is 60 gallons and my stand doesn't have enough room for a sump, trust me I've looked at all the options possible. It's coming on six months since i started the tank and in the past month or so I've had all kinds of algae breaking out: green hair algae, red hair algae, diatoms, bubble algae, and likely more. I have a Reef Octopus Hang-On skimmer that's been running for only a week as I'm on a very limited budget but finally got that going, which I'm sure will help. My PO4 is undetectable with a Red Sea Kit cause of all the algae taking it up.

My question is, what would be the best possible method in reducing PO4?

I'm thinking about running GFO and/or GAC in my third chamber of my skimmer as it's opened for mechanical filtration by the manufacturers suggestion. I'm also considering turning my Tetra Whisper power filter into a makeshift refugium with chaeto and whatnot.

Let me know what you think

Ben

aquatictec
05/20/2011, 07:57 AM
The use of GFO is the quickest way to reduce your phosphates. It works best in a reactor where it is just barely fluidized. It also works anywhere where water has to flow through it. Chaeto or caulerpa in a refugium also works but is slower and algaes release compunds in the water that influence coral growth and color the water. Biopellets in a properly designed reactor will also work but require up to 6 weeks to kick in. As far as the " BEST" way my bet goes for a biopellet reactor to get you nitrates and phosphates down and just a little GFO to zero your phosphates.

Good luck.

Bnortz
05/20/2011, 10:45 AM
Do you guys sell any HOB reactors?

aquatictec
05/20/2011, 01:14 PM
We have many types. Give us a call for details. Even a HOB reactor that works for biopellets and doesnt have to be cleaned every 2 weeks. We also have biopellets on sale. Check our add under our forum on reef central.

Aquatic Technology
26966 Royalton Road
Columbia Station, OH 44028
(440) 236 8330

Vasquez
12/11/2017, 11:59 PM
There are many tips to reduce phosphates.
The best and quickest way for it is filter cleaning.water treatment with stabilizing Ph content is good for phosphate reduction.Have manure management plan