PDA

View Full Version : peppermint shrimp...

jamest0o0
05/19/2011, 09:19 PM
I just got a peppermint shrimp for aiptasia and he ate one of them, but still waiting to see if he'll eat the other. The thing is though is the shrimp seems to crawl over the whole tank pestering everything. I can't tell if he is actually harming anything, but he constantly seems to crawl up near the skunk cleaner shrimp, crawl over all of my corals, fish, etc. Also there is a bunch of spaghetti worms in my tank it seems like he's picking at them, but I can't really tell, do they eat them? From what I read they are reef-safe it just seems like they get into everything so I want to make sure he's not actually eating or killing anything.

sruiz
05/20/2011, 01:17 AM
No harm is being done. My cleaner shrimp does the same thing.

jerpa
05/20/2011, 06:28 AM
My peopermint shrimp investigate everything in my tank. They take rides on the magfloat everytime I clean the glass. When I added a couple of frags last week they swarmed them. I was concerned at first as the frags were not too fond of it but they did no harm just cleaned them off and haven't bothered them since. As for the aiptasia mine don't eat them all at once they just slowly disappear. I probably have 5-10 at any given time.

jamest0o0
05/20/2011, 10:46 AM
ahhhh okay that's good then because I like the little guy he was just making me nervous lol, thanks

Lynnmw1208
05/20/2011, 10:53 AM
just keep an eye on the shrimp I have heard they may pick at corals if not fed enough. I feed my 2 portions of sinking algae wafers.

jamest0o0
05/23/2011, 12:28 AM
So it ate the aiptasia, but it keeps tearing out worms from the rocks... especially the spaghetti worms... I don't really want it eating the critters and stuff in my tank that I want, so does anyone want a pepp shrimp lol?

scottjm
05/23/2011, 05:57 AM
Too funny. My wife is not a fan of them either. You can look at joe's juice to get rid of the aptasia.

NewOne81
05/23/2011, 09:03 AM
+1 they can definately eat coral if not fed enough
they can be a pain when trying to target feed

javimarino
05/23/2011, 10:39 PM
I have one for over a year now, I love mine. He eat all the aiptasia that get to the display tank, got tons in the sump. Mine was very active till I aded a six line wrasse, now he live in a cave and only roams at night and eat all the aip. He also have the cleaning station, I see my yellow tang do regular check up, specially when he have ick. Even clean my hand/ nails when I put my hand in and also clean every new coral I ad to the tank. Very fun, give him a chance, you won't regret it.

baws187
05/24/2011, 12:57 AM
I seen mine on my hammer head coral today. I am not sure what he was doing. I just dropped some food in he left to go eat it. I will now moniter this. They are very cool other then that. I also think each shrimp has a different type of personality.

sjwitt
05/24/2011, 05:25 AM
I put little pieces of shrimp or scallop on the end of one of those long, wooden skewers and then put it near them. They scamper over and pull it off. If you feed them they'll leave everything else alone.