PDA

View Full Version : IY Acrylic Sump

sponger0
05/20/2011, 10:24 AM
Ok after much thoguht behind it and looking at glass aquariums, Ive come to the conclusion that my best option is to make my own sump. Or I would need to modify my stand which Im really against.

So the size I want to build it is 40" x 15" x 16"

Ive read the thickness and will be using either 3/8 or 1/2. Now Ive never used acrylic so Im looking for some pointers in making it.

Ive read to use Weldon 4. But ive also seen where people have used 16 after its put together inside the corners. Does this help stregthen the bond?

Acrylics
05/20/2011, 12:45 PM
Ok after much thoguht behind it and looking at glass aquariums, Ive come to the conclusion that my best option is to make my own sump. Or I would need to modify my stand which Im really against.

So the size I want to build it is 40" x 15" x 16"

Ive read the thickness and will be using either 3/8 or 1/2. Now Ive never used acrylic so Im looking for some pointers in making it. either is fine, just be sure you use good quality material; Polycast, Acrylite GP, or Plexi-Glas G, in this order of preference. All acrylics are not created equal and these are the best, most consistent material available.

Ive read to use Weldon 4. But ive also seen where people have used 16 after its put together inside the corners. Does this help stregthen the bond? not at all, in fact it can be detrimental. That said, it's often (mistakenly) used to fill small gaps and seal the glue joints. If you do your job correctly, no 16 or anything else required.

For a quick primer, check out this thread http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390652

HTH,
James

Algaenot
05/20/2011, 01:27 PM
I suggest you review all of Acrylics info before proceeding. I built my own frag tank and sump last summer and it worked out great. I started by making a few small boxes to get used to the process. During my learning curve I found out that taking the extra time to properly prepare the joints is critical. If your cuts aren't good and the corners do not match up well, try again. I also fell for the Weldon 16 in the joints but it didn't really help. Goof luck anf post your progress.