PDA

View Full Version : Would a Chiller help me?

Giants42
05/20/2011, 02:37 PM
I have a 125g with MH lights that ranges between 78 - 80 degrees with a fan in the canopy and I crack the door in the stand every other day.

1. Is that temp to high? The recommended temp for the fish/coral I want to get is always 72 - 78.
2. After adding a chiller set at 76 degrees and losing the fan and keeping the doors shut, will my top off requirements go down. I am adding about 5gal every other day!

Thanks in advance!

Japsican
05/20/2011, 02:46 PM
Your temps dont seem too high at all. It's about keeping them consistent more than anything as long as your tank isnt extremely hot. A chiller would definately help with evap since you can keep the system closed with no fans.

Gold Stripe
05/20/2011, 02:49 PM
Your temps dont seem too high at all. It's about keeping them consistent more than anything as long as your tank isnt extremely hot. A chiller would definately help with evap since you can keep the system closed with no fans.

+1

Took my chiller off line to relocate tank and evap from necessary fans went from 5 gal every other week to 5 gal in 3.5 days.

slief
05/20/2011, 03:09 PM
Chillers can get expensive on power. I have used a 1/2 HP chiller for years. I just recently made some changes to my system including upping my temp to 81. Before my changes, my tank was set to have the chiller come on at 80. It was coming on 6-7 times a day for an hour each time. Now it hasnt come on for nearly a week and I am very pleased about that. It was running 1200-1400 watts for upwards of 8 hours a day which is very costly. As said above, the key is stability more so than a low temp. Temps between 78 and 82 are are tollerable for most reef inhabitants so if you can get away without having to use a chiller, than is the best case scenario you can have in my experience.