PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional Controllers

Algaenot
05/20/2011, 08:58 PM
I’m interested in seeing unconventional controllers. Anything that doesn’t come in a box, pre-made or equipment manufactured for a different purpose but applied to reef tank applications.

kcress
05/20/2011, 09:15 PM
Question does not compute... Not in a box and not pre-made - but it could be manufactured?

Algaenot
05/20/2011, 09:19 PM
I'm currently using a 16 channel Christmas Light controller from Light-O-Rama to control my pumps, lights, cooling fans, skimmer, dosing pumps, sump pump, etc. Does a great job as a wave maker with literally thousands of wave configurations. Also, it has an unlimited number of light scenarios and transitions. Since it’s designed to be outside, it has a robust enclosure that has a slim profile to fit behind or under the tank. Everything is controlled and programmed from my fish room with a single data cable running to the controller. It’s is also connected to a servo dog that allows for fine adjustments to LED POTs for even greater flexibility in lighting transitions. It is also expandable so that you could have hundreds of channels controlled remotely on multiple tanks.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/bradden0763/IMG_8832.jpg

Algaenot
05/20/2011, 09:22 PM
Question does not compute... Not in a box and not pre-made - but it could be manufactured?
Long day - very tired - it made sense in my head when I wrote it. Just looking for different or unusual ways/means of controlling reef tanks.

ISMANU
05/20/2011, 09:44 PM
Currently in the design phase and trying to aquire parts but will be using a crestron automation system to do everything except gathering ph, orp, salinity info from the tank....gonna trust the experts on those. there are several of my research post on the forum

Algaenot
05/21/2011, 02:10 PM
Currently in the design phase and trying to aquire parts but will be using a crestron automation system to do everything except gathering ph, orp, salinity info from the tank....gonna trust the experts on those. there are several of my research post on the forum

What Crestron product are you going to use?

fppf
05/21/2011, 10:12 PM
I used an industrial thermal controller made by Omega engineering to control my tank temperature.

Gahngoo
05/22/2011, 09:31 AM
I'm currently using a 16 channel Christmas Light controller from Light-O-Rama to control my pumps, lights, cooling fans, skimmer, dosing pumps, sump pump, etc. Does a great job as a wave maker with literally thousands of wave configurations. Also, it has an unlimited number of light scenarios and transitions. Since it’s designed to be outside, it has a robust enclosure that has a slim profile to fit behind or under the tank. Everything is controlled and programmed from my fish room with a single data cable running to the controller. It’s is also connected to a servo dog that allows for fine adjustments to LED POTs for even greater flexibility in lighting transitions. It is also expandable so that you could have hundreds of channels controlled remotely on multiple tanks.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/bradden0763/IMG_8832.jpg

How does a servo adjust the pots? Does it just physically rotate the knobs?
Can you turn off any of the channels independently (say the ch that runs the pumps) if you want to feed your tank? Can you turn off just your pumps without going thought some complicated process?

skunkmere
05/22/2011, 10:36 AM
would the crestron be reliable. i used to install them and every now and then they needed a reboot. Also it may be overkill. but in the DIY sense its awesome your thinking outside the box.

BeanAnimal
05/22/2011, 10:50 AM
I can't imagine the cost and mind numbing programming needed to get a crestron up and stable as a reef controller.

Algaenot
05/25/2011, 06:42 PM
How does a servo adjust the pots? Does it just physically rotate the knobs?
Can you turn off any of the channels independently (say the ch that runs the pumps) if you want to feed your tank? Can you turn off just your pumps without going thought some complicated process?

Yes, the servo is connected directly to the pot. It takes some experimenting to get them dialed in and aligned properly. but it worth the effort. And yes to your question being able to turn off each channel independently. I use four channels as a wave maker. Doing it this way you can have endless variations in flow. The software is very easy to use and allows you to make custom scenarios. I have a Daylight, evening, late evening, night no moon, night moon, early morning, late morning, storm, and feeding programs that are coordinated by the software. One of the channels is for the skimmer allowing me to have a feed period of calm flow. Each channel also has a dimming control of 0 - 100%.