PDA

View Full Version : How to keep a clear tank

kdeyarmin
05/20/2011, 11:18 PM
Are there any special tricks to keeping your saltwater aquarium clear. I have a 210 gallon marine tank and it never seems to be clear. I have live rock, 2 canister filters, an AC 110, and a protein skimmer running. Any thoughts on buying the live bacteria to help?? It has been up and running for about 4 months now.
Thanks,

disc1
05/21/2011, 12:04 AM
No tank is clear when it is four months old. It will clean up with time. The canister filter can be a nitrate trap. The number one "trick" to clear tank is maintenance.

Ninja1
05/21/2011, 12:15 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2015524&page=3

duncantse
05/21/2011, 01:01 AM
No tank is clear when it is four months old. It will clean up with time. The canister filter can be a nitrate trap. The number one "trick" to clear tank is maintenance.

Can you explain why "No tank is clear when it is four months old"?

Mr. Fish
05/21/2011, 01:20 AM
A 4 month old tank can be clear, mine was. To solve the problem we need to know what's causing it, so we need some info. What are your test results, what kind of cloudiness is it (is it milky, does it look like little particles, is the water tinted a color, etc...) what is your live stock and any other helpful information you can think of.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sanchoy
05/21/2011, 01:37 AM
water changes, clean filter socks, substrate vacuum, clean glass..

Those things will help you clear it up. Is there a miracle cure? no
If you want less maintenance, then have less fish, and feed less

ericauch
05/21/2011, 06:25 AM
Run Activated carbon. That has helped me clear up my tankin the past.

ericauch
05/21/2011, 06:26 AM
i would suggest running the carbon through a reactor. with decently high flow.

NYCBOB
05/21/2011, 06:41 AM
liverocks plus good skimming should be enough. why r u using a canisters in a 210? u can always run carbon to keep ur water clear. i dont use it though and my water is crystal clear.

Gary Majchrzak
05/21/2011, 06:56 AM
Are there any special tricks to keeping your saltwater aquarium clear. I have a 210 gallon marine tank and it never seems to be clear. I have live rock, 2 canister filters, an AC 110, and a protein skimmer running. Any thoughts on buying the live bacteria to help?? It has been up and running for about 4 months now.
Thanks,what's being run in the canister filters?

For a crystal clear aquarium run a great skimmer, carbon inside a reactor and a 100 micron (or smaller) mechanical filter (commonly called a "filter sock")

chathomas
05/21/2011, 08:12 AM
purigen and chemi pure elite

Gary Majchrzak
05/21/2011, 08:38 AM
purigen and chemi pure elitenot necessary and a PITA IMO

jscarlata
05/21/2011, 08:50 AM
Sounds like you r trying to run a salt tank like a fresh tank
More than likely your canisters are causing the problem. Invest in a good sump and return pump, setup a skimmer and some filter socks on your main drain and ditch the canisters. I was told you might be able to run carbon or GFO in a canister but it could be hard because you can't see if the media is running properly. Maybe sell the canisters off and get a carbon and/or gfo reactor.
My tank is less than 4 months and it's alwAys crystal clear except after feeding time. I run a skimmer that is rated for several times as much capacity as I have, I recommend over sizing your skimmer as well, don't buy a skimmer rated for a 210, you want something rated for 300-400g. The used market for tank gear is very good, don't be shy of buying used.

cmc5dc
05/21/2011, 08:50 AM
not necessary and a PITA IMO

I agree not necessary, I occasionally run my ozone and the clarity becomes visible.

Gary Majchrzak
05/21/2011, 09:05 AM
Any thoughts on buying the live bacteria to help??another thing that is totally not neccessary. Never waste money on purchasing "live bacteria". Invest in good liverock and cycle the aquarium.

ezerasurfr
05/21/2011, 09:58 AM
You can run a UV filter/ filters. It is best to run them in line before your skimmer so the skimmer picks up as much of the dead particles as possible. In my opinion, it's one of the best choices to keeping a healthy tank.

cside
05/21/2011, 10:08 AM
run carbon through a reactor. easiest thing and is relatively inexpensive. i wouldnt do uv or anything like that. but thats just my oppinion.

thebanker
05/21/2011, 10:10 AM
Do you have a sand sifting fish like a goby that is making the water cloudy?

Also there is nothing really wrong with 2 canister filters, but use them for activated carbon. Many reefers do this (including Randy Holmes Farley I believe). I run carbon in a canister. People seem to get in trouble when they try to use canister filters as biological filters, adding bio-stars or some sort of ceramic live rock surrogate. I keep my canister loaded with a bag of carbon and that's it. I change it every 3 weeks to 1 month.

It's not ideal to use a canister but using them properly will help rather than hurt. What's in the AC110?

Gary Majchrzak
05/21/2011, 11:10 AM
related thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1997396&highlight=clarity)

kdeyarmin
05/21/2011, 07:49 PM
Is there a good web site place to buy used equipment online?

tlo25
05/21/2011, 11:06 PM
I always liked filter socks.

barney1215
05/22/2011, 06:22 PM
what's being run in the canister filters?

For a crystal clear aquarium run a great skimmer, carbon inside a reactor and a 100 micron (or smaller) mechanical filter (commonly called a "filter sock")

x2. I change my filter socks every 3 days also.

MLconstruction
05/22/2011, 06:44 PM
I used to have the same problem. turned out to just be micro bubbles. The older my tank gets, the cleaner it seems to look. Finally after a year and a half my sand bed stays algae free with no work! RO water is also a MUST

bobbychullo
05/22/2011, 10:00 PM
for those that use carbon:

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/activated-carbon-hlle-smoking-gun-found

sanchoy
05/23/2011, 12:11 PM
yes after that article, i have cut back on my carbon.. however my fish has never had hlle. I think if you provide your fish with proper nutrients they should be fine. Carbon also does good, not just bad.

Its a fine line of balancing what you want.

Bilk
05/23/2011, 01:37 PM

This is certainly wrong information. Mine is running a little over a month with perfect clarity. It also hosts some zoa colonies and a few sps which are growing. Tank age can play for or against you. Husbandry is what matters most when determining the relative health of a system.

bobbychullo
05/24/2011, 01:23 AM
i think the article stated that there were certain types of carbon that were worse than others.

i really just glanced at it since i don't run carbon. i have no need for it, waters clear and nutrients are in balance for my system.