PDA

View Full Version : NPS Tank advice and input needed

Greedo
05/22/2011, 04:23 AM
I would like as much input as I can get on the stock list and set up/feeding plan I have come up with for my first NPS tank.

75g with a 6-8" DSB, and just enough rock to build a nice mantis cave for my large peacock mantis and maybe a nice piece of rock to off set the mantis pile.

Biggest sump I can shove in the stand with 950gph return to a spray bar in the mantis rock work. Also 2x JBJ 1600gph power heads for a nice but gentle alternating current.

For filtration I will be useing a 125g or 150g rated reef octopus skimmer (not sure which exact model) as well as a couple reactors one with carbon and the other with GFO. If it would not be detrimental a UV will also be added.

Lighting will be some deep blue low power LED's for ascetics/viewing.

Proposed stock:

1 XXL Sun coral
1 Carnation Tree coral (Dendronephthya sp.)
variety of tube anemones
variety of feather dusters/fan worms/christmas tree
1 chili coral
maybe a sea fan?
1 large peacock mantis (she is a cool customer wont bother fish)
Looking for a fish that is not bottom/rock dwelling and is ok with low light, suggestions?
and maybe some urchins if they are NPS coral safe and the mantis leaves them alone.

Feeding regime:

spot feed 2x a day morning/night
also occasional dosing of food into a power head with the skimmer off for a bit as regularly as I can outside the spot feeding (2-3 other times i.e. dogs 3 am walk, lunch breaks etc.). Would this work or do I really need to set up a reactor feeder system before i start to stock?

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post, I would love any and all input.

uhuru
05/22/2011, 07:40 AM
I don't think you'll have success with dendronephthya with 2-3 manual feedings per day. Doubtful with sea fans as well. If you do exactly as you plan (feed manually 4-5 times/day) you might be ok for some sea fans but honestly i doubt you will keep that up long term. How often will you do water changes? For long term success you need to have a good amount of automation in place or be extremely disciplined:)

Greedo
05/22/2011, 11:20 AM
I don't think you'll have success with dendronephthya with 2-3 manual feedings per day. Doubtful with sea fans as well. If you do exactly as you plan (feed manually 4-5 times/day) you might be ok for some sea fans but honestly i doubt you will keep that up long term. How often will you do water changes? For long term success you need to have a good amount of automation in place or be extremely disciplined:)

Thanks for the reply uhuru :bounce3: I would do wc's as needed, I would try to not over feed so I'm hopeing I could get away with 20-30% a week in addition to a good cleaning of whatever I see that needs to be cleaned. As far as the feeding goes I could hold off on getting the dendro and fan untill I get an auto feeder set up. I read your thread about your kalk feeder and would not mind doing that at all.