PDA

View Full Version : 40 Breeder Lighting?

aeromike9
05/22/2011, 03:23 PM
I am setting up a 40 breeder tank and am wondering what kind of corals I can keep under a dual T5 HO (2x39). Most lights of this type come with a 10,000K and 420/460nm. I know this will limit the types of corals I can keep, but I am trying to keep costs low. The AquaticLife fixture I am looking at is linkable, so I could add another in the future.

I am also thinking of supplementing it with an LED strip light for some extra light and shimmer.

Any advice/opinions would be helpful as this is my first attempt into the saltwater world.

-Mike

jayk198030
05/22/2011, 03:28 PM
zoas and some softies with do ok under they light setup. how deep is the tank?

jayk198030
05/22/2011, 03:31 PM
Oh yeah as far as other advice: Time to break the bank. Not a cheap hobby and sometime its very frustrating. Instant ocean Reef crystals is a good brand of salt. Take your time dont rush and read a lot of info here at reef central best place for advice.

kdino1
05/22/2011, 04:00 PM
softies and zoanthids, maybe some of the easier lps and sps like frowspawn and monti in the middle near the top

aeromike9
05/22/2011, 04:14 PM
The tank is 36x18x16.

Peale
05/22/2011, 04:35 PM
I have a 6 bulb T5 fixture on my 40B and it is SPS dominant. I would say not to waste your money on anything less than a 4 bulb fixture. You will just end up regretting it if you do.

aeromike9
05/22/2011, 05:07 PM
I guess that is one good thing about the AquaticLife 2 bulb. They can be linked/connected together so I could get another one if I wanted to start keeping some of the more light hungry specimens.

Does anyone have any thoughts on adding some LED strip(s) along with the T5s?

greech
05/22/2011, 05:18 PM
I have a 40B with a 4 bulb T5 Sundial with ATI bulbs and also have a Ecoxotic Panorama 453 strip which adds a blue shimmer and a little more PAR I suppose. My T5 fixture is not high end by any means I have SPS doing pretty darn good in the top 1/3 of the tank and LPS at various heights. I have had to shade some favia because they started to bleach within 2 days under direct light on the sandbed.

With a 2 bulb fixture with decent reflectors and good bulbs I don't think there is any reason you can't keep many LPS and of course zoas and softies. LPS like Acans, favia, duncans, frogspawn, torch, hammers are just some corals I think you will be fine with.

If you just want pop then stunner strips or the TrueLumen strips should be fine. If you want growth your going to end up spending about as much as a good 4 bulb fixture by the time you buy the LEDs and the 2 bulb T5. A 36" higher PAR LED strip is going to run you $200 easily. You could consider DIY LED but it will still be a good chunk of change.

Besides not being able to keep higher light demand animals, I believe if you have and regret going with a 2 bulb its going to be lack of color options. A 4 or 6 bulb really opens up a lot . Its good that the fixture is linkable. Interested to see how that works.

bluezx636
05/22/2011, 05:32 PM
What I did for now since I didn't have a lot of money to spend I went with 2 par38 LEDS for $200 on my 46 gallon,Which will give me enough light for close to half the tank and when I have the cash I will get the other 2. You also save on not have to replace bulbs every year and there is less heat.

aeromike9
05/22/2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks to everyone for the input.

Greech. I was just thinking about LEDs for the shimmer effect, and maybe a bonus of a little more light. Something inexpensive like the strips you mentioned. Here is the T5 light I am referring to that is linkable: http://www.aquaticlife.com/t5ho_dual/index.html

I think I am going to start off with the dual bulb, and maybe add another in the future. I have no problem with only being able to keep zoas, softies and some of the other corals mentioned. I mainly want something that is esthetically pleasing and will give me a chance to learn more about the hobby. But the ability to add another fixture in the future is a plus.

peppie
05/22/2011, 10:24 PM
Wise choice. Keep your options open. There are many corals you can keep with your lights. Research what you want while you learn about ,and enjoy your tank. You will soon have what you need to keep what you want