PDA

View Full Version : 14g BioCube Re-Build

tlkng1
05/22/2011, 04:06 PM
Hi All...

I had set this up once before and then had to break it down a few months later due to having to go out of the country for work. Now that I am home again, I decided to reset. On the first build I stayed with stock everything and it seemed to work...OK. I never got beyond the liverock, a CUC and a couple of fish. This time, I am working things a little differently. So, to date:

1. Ordered the inTank media basket which is due in sometime this week. In preparation, removed the floors from chambers 1 and 2 and upgraded the pump to the MJ900.

2. I have roughly 8 pounds of live sand and roughly 19 pounds of liverock. Now, this particular liverock already has growth on it. The place I get it receives this rock no more than 2 hours after it is "harvested" and I was at the store about 2 hours later. All in all, this rock went from "breeding" area to final tank in under 6 hours. Now, that isn't to say it hasn't been re-arranged a few times....:lol2: This same store sells salt ro/di water so I added 7 gallons of that and then, because they know me so well, they also allowed me to buy 7 gallons of their in-use water.

3. Currently, the only light I have is a 10,000K lamp; I also have to replace the moonlights. The other bulbs are on their way as 5 stores in my area didn't carry the bulbs; talk about frustrating. I have ordered, though it is backordered, the Nanotuners 3.24 light retrofit kit. I have one of the guys at my specialty LFS ready to do the work for me...I am pretty handy but when it comes to cutting wires, even if they aren't under power, and then trusting my reconnects when the power is back on...well......

4. I added the Koralia Nano, placing it just below the upper intake and aiming it slightly towards the surface.

Initial pics attached. I was testing my cell phone camera (new phone) but will put up better camera pics a little later. Water is still a little cloudy due to aquascape re-arrangement this afternoon.

Plan is for CUC in another week or so then first fish...probably another Yellow Clown Goby..they have so much personality :). I like Blennies but haven't done enough research on them as yet to see if they suit the smaller tank size. I admit I have to get my nerve up for the first store-bought coral.

Mbachota
05/22/2011, 05:00 PM
I like the look of the biocubes. Hope you have alot of fun with it again

tlkng1
05/24/2011, 04:14 PM
Good evening all...

I got into a discussion on another forum about flow and what might work. This vid is of Day 4 and if anyone has seen the intial pics, they will notice my aquascaping has morphed...again :)

I have an MJ900 in chamber 3 and a Koralia Nano attached just below the upper intake vent. The vid really doesn't show the total amount of water movement towards the bottom of the tank.

As of last night, ammonia is showing at 2 ppm, NItirtes 0 and Nitrates 80...I think the end of the cycling is near. My inTake media basket came today and I placed some Denitifier, Chemi-pure Elite and floss. I have Purigen being delievered tomorrow so that should help the Nitrates..I'll do a water change as well..my LFS that has the prepared water is closed on Tuesdays. I have a cleanup crew from Reefcleaners.com coming on Friday. The retroft light kit should be here next Tuesday (Memorial Day is going to mess me up :) ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxJayjyeDNA

tlkng1
06/01/2011, 08:49 AM
Good morning all :)

Tank is in day 11 and just a recap of what I have been doing..or already did.

I removed the floors in chambers 1 and 2. Chamber 1 will hold a heater once winter rolls around but right now one is not needed. Chamber 2 has the inTank media basket running, in order, filter floss, Purigen and Chemipure Elite. I upgraded the pump in chamber 3 to an MJ900. I also retrofitted the lights with the Nanotuners 3.24 upgrade kit. I ran into a couple of hiccups with the installation but otherwise it went fine.

I have 5 pounds of live sand and about 21 pounds of live rock in the display; CUC has been added. I've already hunted down and eradicated three Aiptasias and just found another one that is going to be near impossible to get to. Hopefully the two Peppermint shrimp will take care of it as it is still very small. Parameters are still a little off with ammonia running about 1, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates after the water change were at 20. Since the ammonia spiked at nearly 8 ppm, I think I am coming to the end of the cycle. Still, I'll wait another 4 weeks or so before adding anything else.

I haven't gotten into stocking at this point but am thinking at least a yellow clown goby and one clown. One of the LFS' has baby clowns and always has a steady supply so at least I can get one smaller. I realize they grow but I don't think two fish are going to cause an issue. Still researching corals etc.