PDA

View Full Version : New tank startup, cycling sump first?

InOvrMyHead
05/22/2011, 04:34 PM
Hello everyone,

My question is about cycling a tank. I am building a new tank and am a little excited to start, however I do not have my tank yet. I started thinking about cycling my fuge since the tank is still a week away. If I start the cycling process in the fuge will it help speed up or eliminate the cycling process for the DT once it arrives and I get everything setup. Am I way off or will this work? I am usually a very patient person and I understand this is a hurry up and wait hobby, but I started think about it and don't see why it cannot save at least a few days.

Any thoughts?

bobbychullo
05/22/2011, 04:37 PM
no it will not eliminate the need to cycle your tank.

it takes time for the bacteria that processes the nitrates and ammonia to grow on the rocks so by starting the sump first it accomplishes nothing really. you will still have to get your live rock into your display and begin cycling that.

this is not a hurry up and wait hobby. it is a be patient and wait hobby...

BE PATIENT!!! don't be worried about saving a few days in this hobby. things happen on the order of days, months and YEARS in a saltwater tank

dwd5813
05/22/2011, 05:34 PM
i too would just wait. the potential benefits of starting early with half a setup are shadowed by the potential downfalls of having to completely disrupt the balance in the refugium if things don't fall together just right. take the week and fine tune your plans for the setup, look over your ideas and see if there's anything you might want to change for the better. it'll be easier to do now than it will with half of it set up, imo.

InOvrMyHead
05/22/2011, 11:55 PM
Thank you for your replies!

It was just a thought while I was at work.

I want to clear up the statement I made. I said this is a "hurry up and wait hobby," but that is not what I meant. I know this takes time and patience. What I said was not what I meant. When I asked the question it was just a thought. thinking back before I asked the question I now know there is some serious setup that would be easier to do if nothing is setup yet.

bobbychullo
05/24/2011, 01:28 AM
sorry, didn't mean to come off as condescending. i just try to drill home certain philosophies i think have worked for me.

good luck :spin1: