PDA

View Full Version : sea swirl question on return line

playaslk
05/22/2011, 06:16 PM
i have a 180 gallon that i am going to put 2 sea swirls "into". One is definetely a 3/4 and one possibly 1/2 or another 3/4. My q is, if i use a 1/2, would the flow work properly?

To expand, would the water flow through both sea swirls? the set up would be a submersed pump in the sump, with water going up a 1 inch spaflex with a wye connector splitting the return into 2 3/4 returns. If i have 3/4 sea swirls on both ends, no problem. My question is if i have a 3/4 and a 1/2 (using a reducer on the end of one of the returns, would the sea swirl work on both ends? or It would the water take the easy way out and just flow through the 3/4 part of the line.

thanks!

GrampaDon
05/22/2011, 07:45 PM
Just a guess here ,but it should work ok. Another guess but the flow will split
like 40% on the 1/2in and 60% on the 3/4.

I had the same problem. I have 1 3/4in and wanted another for the new 150g
So I bought a 2nd 3/4in. But I dont have enough pump to run 2 3/4 ,so they both are getting a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer to even them out.

Also so you know. I called Sea Swirl to ask questions. And he was adamant about not putting to much flow beyond the specs through any device ,because it puts to much stress on the internal seals. Which is why i am doing a 2nd 3/4.

HTH