PDA

View Full Version : Base Unit fired inputs 2nd Time, Help

z3r0ko0l
05/23/2011, 01:32 PM
Let me start off by saying I love my Apex and have been showing/recommending it to a lot of people.

I have been dealing with this problem for the past few months and felt it was time to get some outside input before I try and connect my unit that is returning again from repair. My system consists of an Apex Lite, 2 EB8's, Neptune Breakout box, 3 float switches from Aquahub, and a magnetic door switch like the one from smarthome (all dry contact).

The problem started when I started to add a Neptunes Break out box to my system. Before that I had a pH probe that didnt want to stay calibrated if I moved or bumped the wire. Now I think the two problems are some how related. Anyways I connected my new break out box and noticed that number 3 and 4 would not work. I had to use numbers 1, 2, 5, and 6 of my devices. I contacted Curt at Neptune and he was very quick to help me. After some trouble shooting I sent my breakout box in to be looked at. It came back with "nothings wrong with it." I reconnected it and was having the same problem. Again I contacted Curt and he then had me send in the base unit. This time I didnt get the "everything is fine" answer. I was told that not only did I have an older unit, but the inputs where fired. This didnt effect the function of the Apex other then the problem listed above. I sent my reciept from Marine Depot, and was thinking maybe they had sent me a unit that had been returned and because it was functioning thought that it was ok. Anyways when I got my unit back I was very busy so I just hooked everything up not testing switches 3 and 4. (The pH probe problem was fixed BTW) A few weeks went by and I had finally gotten a weekend where I could mess with the tank. I was getting ready to build a box with 2 "EZ feed buttons" so house sitters could feed without having to mess with the controller. I then tested switch 3 with a light I have under the tank thats turned on by the magnetic switch on the cabniet door...nothing. I then switched over to switch 4 and reprogrammed the door switch to work off of switch 4. Still nothing. I then moved the light switch back to number 5 and before I had a chance to change the program closed the door on the cabinet. The light turned off! I knew that once again the same problem was back. I again contacted Curt and sent pictures and video of my set up. He thinks that the base unit it getting fried from power being applied to the break out box. Ive been over the wiring over and over. The only thing powering the unit is the primary EB8. I then asked if the EB8 could be suppling to much voltage to the base unit. I was told that this was impossible.

So here I am, my fixed base unit is on its way back and I dont want to connect it with out changing something. Putting the base unit back in and expecting something different to happen without fixing the problem just sounds wrong to me. So heres what im am going to do. I am going to plug the base unit into my second EB8. I have tested for voltage across my breakout box and everything reads 0. I then tested for continuity, and all switches are working fine.

I just dont know what else to try. Curt has been very helpful, to the point im sure he is getting tired of me, and Im afraid they will no longer service my unit if this happens again. They are sure it has to be something in my set up, though I have offered to send the whole thing in. Like Ive said its hooked up as per the instructions using only Neptune parts (except the switches). Please anyone have any input? :headwally:

kenargo
05/23/2011, 06:11 PM
Do you have 'probe expansion' turned off? If I remember correctly having it turned on will use 2 of the inputs as a communications channel for the PX1000 so you need to turn it off to have full use of all inputs.

kenargo
05/23/2011, 06:12 PM
For the breakout box; what is connected and how? If you have only magnetic switches then there should be no way to get voltage introduced. Do you have image to share?

z3r0ko0l
05/23/2011, 08:55 PM
Do you have 'probe expansion' turned off? If I remember correctly having it turned on will use 2 of the inputs as a communications channel for the PX1000 so you need to turn it off to have full use of all inputs.

I have no idea if I had that on or off. I would assume that it was in its default condition since I dont remember seeing/touching that option.

kenargo
05/23/2011, 09:04 PM
Something to check; the setting is under System Setup->Misc; it should be 'OFF'

z3r0ko0l
05/23/2011, 09:09 PM
For the breakout box; what is connected and how? If you have only magnetic switches then there should be no way to get voltage introduced. Do you have image to share?

Pics are below. The only things that are connected are 3 float switches from aquahub, and one magnetic door switch off an old house alarm system. All dry contact type.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BL-f_sFJMDY/TdsgCITqm6I/AAAAAAAAA1w/51BpEROrEWM/s912/DSC03808.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Cca29APVm4g/TdsgChTmdOI/AAAAAAAAA10/q4xBi0tfxsE/s912/DSC03809.JPG

In this one you can see the lower is in a slosh gaurd, so it wouldnt be affected by turbulence in the sump.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hH3EvN76qlE/TdsgC1fcLPI/AAAAAAAAA14/A01P5R8M7tE/s912/DSC03810.JPG

And heres the door switch...
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-THt5V1wXtbQ/TdsgD3je3qI/AAAAAAAAA18/fu53Iy6A_H0/s912/DSC03812.JPG

kenargo
05/23/2011, 10:29 PM
Nice pictures; so do I understand it correctly that everything connected to the break-out-box is a float of some type (nothing powered)? If so then I don't see any reason why it would introduce power into the input of the Apex (unless) you have something leaking voltage into the water AND you have a float switch that is not sealed correctly, allowing water to come into contact with the float contacts.

z3r0ko0l
05/24/2011, 12:45 AM
Nice pictures; so do I understand it correctly that everything connected to the break-out-box is a float of some type (nothing powered)? If so then I don't see any reason why it would introduce power into the input of the Apex (unless) you have something leaking voltage into the water AND you have a float switch that is not sealed correctly, allowing water to come into contact with the float contacts.

Exactly. I have gone through everything. I tested each switch individually for any kinda power, nothing. Then tested for continuity to make sure the switches where all working properly, yes they are. I even as a last ditch tried putting my multi meters probe in the sump and then to a ground to see if there was any power leaking from something...still nothing.

The only place the apex is getting power is from the Primary EB8. Curt is saying that it is impossible for the EB8 to over power the base, so thats a dead end. All I can think of trying next is switching the cable from the primary EB8 to my secondary EB8.

Curt said that they have never seen that kinda damage, ever. My repaired base module is back but I really dont want to hook it up without finding the problem.

z3r0ko0l
05/25/2011, 01:28 AM
Well Ive gone through everything again, and I cant just let this thing sit here. Tomorrow im going give it one last look then hook it up again and hope for the best. I really feel kinda helpless cuz this honestly has me dumbfounded. After looking over and over, day after day, its very frustrating. If anyone can think of anything else to look at it would be appreciated. Kenargo, thank you very much for your input.

Gold Stripe
05/25/2011, 02:14 PM
Possibly an internal issue with the breakout box? Have you checked the continuity from the pins on the plug that plugs into the I/O port to the terminals on the box and cross checked to make sure there isnt a short somewhere in the box? I know it cant me much but I would think that the apex has to send some current through the box to verify if the switches are open or closed. If somehow 3 and 4 are shorted it might be overdriving those circuits and burning the apex. Other than that I havent a clue.

z3r0ko0l
05/25/2011, 09:08 PM
Possibly an internal issue with the breakout box? Have you checked the continuity from the pins on the plug that plugs into the I/O port to the terminals on the box and cross checked to make sure there isnt a short somewhere in the box? I know it cant me much but I would think that the apex has to send some current through the box to verify if the switches are open or closed. If somehow 3 and 4 are shorted it might be overdriving those circuits and burning the apex. Other than that I havent a clue.

I thought the same thing at first, and so did Curt I think. I sent the breakout box back in and he said it was fine, so that ruled that out.

On a side note I didnt get a chance too connect the base unit back up, because I want to got through it one more time. Maybe tomorrow. Life with out my Apex has been miserable, and thinking about crippled new piece of equipment is just as bad. Im really disappointed.

z3r0ko0l
05/31/2011, 08:30 PM
I just hooked up my Apex after a lot of testing and checking. This time I switched power from the primary EB8 to my secondary EB8 and disconnected all the switches from the breakout box. After uploading my bin to the Apex and verifying everything was working I connected my breakout box. Now with no switches connected, I used a small piece of wire to jump and tested each connection programmed to a small work light. Sure enough 3 and 4 are still not working. By doing this there is no way that any power could get to the unit from a switch, so that ruled that out and confirmed what all the multi meter tests have shown all along. It also ruled out the Primary EB8 as a problem source which Curt has been saying all along. Have no idea what to do now. I have an email into Curt again. Really frustrated.

z3r0ko0l
06/01/2011, 02:57 PM
Something to check; the setting is under System Setup->Misc; it should be 'OFF'

This ended up being the problem! Thank you very much. I got an email from Curt saying the samething but he said to also restart the unit after the change. W/O restarting it didnt work, but after the restart it worked! :celeb1:

Thanks again everyone for their help!!:lol2: