PDA

View Full Version : canopy help

cudog
05/23/2011, 05:03 PM
Hi guys,

I am planning to build a canopy for my tank. There is a Raised Panel Vinyl Exterior Shutter at Lowes that i am thinking of using it it for the front side of the canopy. What do you guys think? Is there a reason why i should not use it? Thanks for your help.

reeffreak25
05/23/2011, 05:14 PM
Does it have slats on it that would let light leak out in some way, like blinds? Really I think it's just personal preference. Personally, I'm not a fan of using vinyl around fish tanks because if it comes in contact with the water it tends to stop skimmers from producing skimmate. Maybe if you touched it with your hands it could somehow transfer whatever it is that causes that into your water... maybe not.

cudog
05/23/2011, 06:37 PM
The pannel looks just like the raised cabinet doors. my stand has raised pannel doors so i want to make the canopy looks similar to the stand but i dont know how to do it. I thought the one at lowes is close enough..but I dont know if it's safe.

reeffreak25
05/23/2011, 06:52 PM
I don't think you really have anything to worry about. It's probably PVC, but you might want to find out for sure.

peppie
05/23/2011, 07:48 PM
That is a good idea. If it is PVC, and it most likely is, it would be cheaper and easier than wood. Now you have me thinking. I need to redo my hood.