PDA

View Full Version : So...how long can a fish stay hidden?

EllisJuan
05/23/2011, 11:37 PM
I added a High Fin Goby (about 1.5") and a snapping shrimp (about .75") on Saturday. I have been searching for them during feeding and have not seen them once. I can not even find the burrow I suspect they are in. My tank is only a 65g...I would have thought I would have found them by now :(

NatureNerd
05/23/2011, 11:44 PM
I added a High Fin Goby (about 1.5") and a snapping shrimp (about .75") on Saturday. I have been searching for them during feeding and have not seen them once. I can not even find the burrow I suspect they are in. My tank is only a 65g...I would have thought I would have found them by now :(

I had a rainfordi goby disappear and was presumed dead for 4 months. All of a sudden he is back. I see him for a couple days and then gone again for two more months. After the second reappearance he has never been seen again. That was three years ago, so he must have died. My tank is only a 75g. I have no idea how he could hide for so long and still manage to eat.

They are probably in your tank somewhere.

Rich976usaf
05/24/2011, 12:50 AM
I have had a pistol for 2 years, they will hide for a while. It needs to dig out its home under some rocks. When I moved my tank i didnt see him for 3 weeks. You can know he is in the tank if you hear it "snapping" its claw. Lol have fun.

EllisJuan
05/24/2011, 02:15 AM
I just want to see my new fish!...lol. I was honestly a little disappointed in the size of the specimens I got from liveaquaria.

jayelblock
05/24/2011, 04:30 AM
Don't be disappointed. These are small animals anyway, and typically, small means young. Be glad that your fish and shrimp have most of their lifespan ahead of them.

falconut
05/24/2011, 05:23 AM
I got a Geometric Pigmy Hawk a while back. After I put him in, I never saw him, even at feeding time. 6 months later, there he was. I was really shocked, because I had looked for him for weeks, with no signs. So, depending how the tank is setup, it's possible he's just hiding.

karavak
05/24/2011, 05:56 AM
I put a yellow goby in my tank a few weeks ago. He has decided to set up a home in the back of the tank behind all the rock. Occasional, I will see him sitting just a little out in the open and then he goes right back. Ah well, I can't really control where he wants to set up camp I guess.

frankpayne32
05/24/2011, 10:56 AM
I've had gobies (yellow watchman and firefish) disappear for one to two months and appear again healthy as can be.

snorvich
05/24/2011, 11:59 AM
I've had gobies (yellow watchman and firefish) disappear for one to two months and appear again healthy as can be.

I have had fish disappear for months at a time. Of course I have a lot of smallish fish and largish tanks.

block head
05/24/2011, 12:11 PM
weird ,just posted a similar thead about my yashi. he just returned from a several week vacation. the pistol hasn't been seen for 2 months. at least i hear it snappping all night long...both are kept in 28 gallon tank

scottjm
05/24/2011, 01:06 PM
That is cool how it shows up months later. Crabs demolish corpses it is hard to wonder what happens to missing fish. Glad to see people find their livestock months later.

EllisJuan
06/06/2011, 10:50 PM
He made his first appearance today. I was just about to assume he was dead.

NatureNerd
06/06/2011, 11:03 PM
He made his first appearance today. I was just about to assume he was dead.

That's great! They can really hide. Glad to hear he is alive and well.

Pallobi
06/07/2011, 12:32 AM
That's great! They can really hide. Glad to hear he is alive and well.

No doubt :) good to hear for sure

EllisJuan
06/08/2011, 10:23 PM
Managed to snap a couple of pics tonight...

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/TahoeDust/cf9e896b.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/TahoeDust/812ec3bc.jpg