PDA

View Full Version : Stay or Switch

kels
05/24/2011, 05:07 PM
I am currently using reef crystals because it came with the tank when I got it. I am almost out of salt and I want to find out my other options out there that are better or cheaper and more effective for my corals( mostly lps and softies with a couple sps).

Thanks any opinion is welcome

celamb89
05/24/2011, 05:12 PM
I use red sea and Im very happy with it! I've used like 4 buckets of it and with no problems

HighlandReefer
05/24/2011, 05:19 PM
I agree with Randy's response to which salt mix one should use:

"I do not think there is a "best" salt mix. Nearly all of them will work fine as long as you know their pros and cons.

I personally prefer Instant Ocean, and this is why:

I don't want excessive borate, which leaves out Seachem.

I don't want vitamins or anything else organic in my mix, so that tosses out some like Reef Crystals, hW Marinemix Plus BioElements, Kent, Coralife, and Nutri-SeaWater.

I don't want excessive calcium (long term use of limewater as I use drives up calcium, so I do not want it starting high), so that tosses out a bunch, such as Kent, Seachem, Coralife and Oceanic.

There are certain companies that I will not support due to their misleading claims and/or product lines. That tosses out a few which I won't detail here since it is my personal thought as opposed to a specific issue with their salt mix.

I won't use certain lines of natural seawater due to excessive metals in it.

That only leaves a few to choose from, such as Instant Ocean and Tropic Marin Pro. The remaining ones might all be fine for me, but IO is lower in cost, especially if you get it when it goes on sale (which it frequently does)."

allsps40
05/24/2011, 05:34 PM
I was using RC for years and liked it. Until they changed the formula. The alk was to high and it was mixing up very brown. I am now using D-D H2Ocean and am very happy so far.

kels
05/24/2011, 05:47 PM
Looks like i might just stick with RC, I heard that there is a new formula out that mixes better.

Korrine
05/25/2011, 07:47 AM
Any idea when this new formula came out?