PDA

View Full Version : Missing BTA

jthunder
05/24/2011, 06:32 PM
A day after I introduced a BTA to the tank, it is now missing. I put it in a spot that I thought it would like (low flow, higher light) it moved down onto the sand and was crawling around at lights out. Today get home from work and it is no where to be found, I can kind of see around the back of the rocks and sort of between rocks but not really, and no sign of it. Should I be worried and start moving rocks around to try to find it? Its not like I can see it and its melting, just can't see it. How long should I wait? Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks.

JMartin104
05/24/2011, 06:36 PM
I have 2 nems and both have moved since I got them. One is currently on a "walk-about" and has moved about 8" total. He moved from front to back and back to front. I would not worry at this point. But if you do move rock, make sure you don't tear him. If he's attached to two rocks, that could be a problem.

aleonn
05/24/2011, 07:21 PM
He's probably hiding in some crevice or behind the rockwork. I'd put foam guards of some sort on your powerheads, to prevent any accidents just in case he decides to keep on walking.

jthunder
05/24/2011, 07:25 PM
Great thanks, I'll give him a few more days before I start looking...

Potsy
05/24/2011, 07:31 PM
That happened to my BTA - went missing for a few days and then one morning, upon turning on the lights, there it was front and center. It'll show up.

aleonn
05/25/2011, 02:06 PM
Any luck finding him yet? When mine was hiding behind a rock, I coaxed it out by target feeding silverside or mysis.

jthunder
05/25/2011, 03:29 PM
Not yet, going to check tonight, but if by tomorrow he still hasn't showed up, I'll pull a few rocks and see what I can find.

aleonn
05/25/2011, 05:32 PM
I was tempted to pull rocks out, but resisted the urge. If their foot is attached between two rocks and you pull, you may rip it, causing its eventual death. Maybe you can play with your powerhead placement by redirecting some flow behind the rocks. If the BTA finds the flow unsuitable, it'll move to a hopefully more desirable and viewable spot.

Retired Reefer
05/25/2011, 05:51 PM
I'm with Potsy, it'll show up. Years ago I had one disappear for a few days and 3 came out.

Crkbaby
05/25/2011, 09:35 PM
anemones need light to live and they can go for a walk that kills them. If its gone for more than a few days I would look for it and place it in the light. They always seem to move around until they find a place the know they will be happy and then stay there forever. Sometimes you can help them find that home before they can find it themselves.

jthunder
05/25/2011, 09:50 PM
Ok, thanks. Still no sign of it tonight. When I get home from work tomorrow if its still not out, I'll carefully pull a couple of rocks where I think it might be hiding.

jthunder
05/26/2011, 07:34 PM
Well, bad news. I found the BTA this afternoon, after I checked every rock in the display I looked through the sump, and found he was stuck in the overflow and torn on a piece of the plastic I have to cut down the bubbles :( Not sure how long he'd been there as I did look through the sump before. He must have climbed the overflow - I didn't know that these nems could do that?

Not good for my first anemone - going to wait for a bit to try one again...

Crkbaby
05/26/2011, 08:32 PM
maybe its just mine but I have a Sebae anemone with flouresent orange tips it loves to hang upside down in a cave with its base out of the light and its tentacles out in the light my clowns went to it like glue. It has also split for me once allready.

JMartin104
05/27/2011, 07:13 AM
maybe its just mine but I have a Sebae anemone with flouresent orange tips it loves to hang upside down in a cave with its base out of the light and its tentacles out in the light my clowns went to it like glue. It has also split for me once allready.

Mine too! Except the clowns. They have no interest. The only hosting is a Starry Blenny in a neon Toadstool.

rivahodges
05/27/2011, 07:16 AM
May sound crazy, but you might check your sump. I had some that kept walking around and ended up down there.

rivahodges
05/27/2011, 07:19 AM
Skimmed right past your post. Sorry for you loss, but don't get too discouraged.