PDA

View Full Version : Interesting snail deaths....

Steve-H
05/24/2011, 07:31 PM
All,
About 10 days ago I supplemented my CUC with an additional batch of snails. My tank has been up for just about a year; and so far so good. The snails have been the only addition in at least 4mo.
This morning I found two dead Florida cerths in the tank; covered in a mucus. I immediately thought of Oenone Fulgida - but you would think that it would have struck many times over the past year ?! I did find this worm in the tank a couple of days ago - but in looking at the photos (however crappy they are), I think I can clearly identify bristles:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_IPGHyT92a24/TdxZls_ULcI/AAAAAAAAHBw/OVTR9J3ZrMg/s800/IMG_00179.jpg

As I know Oenone Fulgida is really shy, I've also taken a video of the worm...While he didn't care for the light that much; he also didn't immediately dive away either..
I came home this evening and found something interesting happening in my tank which drew my attention (Pod explosion !), and I noticed another dead snail....But this one was interesting; as it 'looked' like it had an anemone-type creature coming out of the opening ! I immediately removed the snail from the tank and examined closer. Sure enough, it looked almost like a ball anemone type of extremities. I cracked the shell of the snail - and lo and behold the snail was still in the shell; although it was dead.
I do have some small ball anemonies in the tank; but they never got out of control and from what I've read they aren't an issue. Is it just co-incidence that this ball anemone decided to hitch onto a dead snail; or is there something more sinister afoot (pardon the pun :lol2: ).
Here's the best I could do with the photo. I know its grainy; but I attempted to show as much detail as I could:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_IPGHyT92a24/TdxZm_R6HqI/AAAAAAAAHC4/V2GLoW1zK44/s600/IMG_00180.jpg

Kinda reminds me of a fungus which grows in the amazon and infects insects....

Of course, the two may have nothing to do with each other; but any help is appreciated !

Regards,
Steve

LeslieH
05/25/2011, 08:29 AM
The mucus really points to Oenone. They can survive by eating things other than molluscs so it's impossible to starve them out. The worm in your photo is a fireworm, a harmless detritivore & scavenger.

Anemones will grow on anything so my guess is coincidence.

Steve-H
05/25/2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks Leslie !

I'll look around for some trap plans this evening....See what I can catch.

Twiegs
09/07/2011, 07:56 PM
I just discovered I have a Oenone fulgida in my tank. Wiped out all my snails with the same mucus left behind. Did you get it out of your tank? If so, how?

Thanks!

Twiegs
09/07/2011, 08:02 PM
I just discovered I have a Oenone fulgida in my tank. Wiped out all my snails with the same mucus left behind. Did you get it out of your tank? If so, how?

Thanks!