PDA

View Full Version : Fluval G6 Vs External 2.5ft sump.

krazed
05/25/2011, 05:01 AM
I am looking at filtration options for my new tank and I was originally set on a sump set up for my mixed reef however after going to a new LFS today, the owner has me completely set on getting a Fluval G6 system instead of a sump. The only downfall I see could be a problem with nitrates and the lack of excess water the sump would hold. Also note. Tank is a approx 130 Litres. Fluval is rated at up to 2x that.

The fluval is really cheap where I am approx the same cost as it would be to set up a sump with fuge etc.

Am I missing anything critical here?

Also he asked where I learn my information from and I said books and forums, mainly ReefCentral. He then laughs and starts bantering about how terrible this website is? Does anyone else get that? I am getting so my contradicting information everywhere I turn.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/img.php?img=filelib/fluval_g_group_LGE-1.jpg&c=resize&p=190x300

bdr
05/25/2011, 05:19 AM
i look at it as he is there to make a profit and sell you something. Everyone here has nothing to gain but passing on past experiences on what did and didnt work for them. If everyone here kept leading people astray there wouldnt be many new members or the active membership that there is. On the fluval i dont know anything about it but you couldnt beat their canister filters for fw.

Geoff_Poz
05/25/2011, 05:58 AM
I am new at this, but already I LOVE having a sump. It gives so many options: heater, skimmer, carbon bag, Phosban bag, cooling fan, copepod growth, all hidden under the stand instead of visible in/on the tank. The added volume of water is excellent help also. I would never go without one on any future projects...

zeeter
05/25/2011, 08:32 AM
I'm down with the sump, as well. I have two canister filters that I was using for a couple of F/O tanks and they were fine, but when I put all of the tanks in-line and took the filters offline they smelled like a used diaper filled with Indian food. And it was only after a month and a half of using them. If you don't keep a very strict schedule for changing the filter media the canisters can quickly go fowl. Plus it's just nice, as others said, to have a place to hide all of that unsightly equipment. The G6 only really tests a couple of parameters and not the ones that aren't already easily testable for. I guess they remind you to change the media, too, which is good.

Not much beats a sump, though. I went cheapo with mine, using a big rubbermaid along with a bunch of different smaller containers for my media with holes drilled in them so that water can flow through.

TreyK
05/25/2011, 08:43 AM
I would advise against taking any information from a Lfs or pet store unless they are a well respected saltwater or reef store. Did you ask to see his reef tank? What did the setups look like at his store? Just trying to make a point. For the record you do not want a canister filter on a reef tank. Look at any nice tank on this site, I dont think you'll see many canisters lol.

That guy was trying to make a buck on you. This is the best and largest source for reef information on the net that I know of, and probably the most respected as well.