PDA

View Full Version : How do you do lighting with the Apex and AI LED Lights

LOTUS50GOD
05/25/2011, 08:25 AM
Does anyone know how to set up a lighting storm on the apex?

eisaiasjr
05/25/2011, 10:33 AM
Page 5-6 of the below link.

http://www.neptunesys.com/VDM_manual.pdf

gbreynol
05/25/2011, 02:59 PM
I followed the directions, but am having issues with lightning using AI Sol Blues under 4.0.5-4B11. I have 7 bricks and they are flashing white at different times. My tank looks like it's using a 70s disco storm profile.

kenargo
05/25/2011, 06:30 PM
I followed the directions, but am having issues with lightning using AI Sol Blues under 4.0.5-4B11. I have 7 bricks and they are flashing white at different times. My tank looks like it's using a 70s disco storm profile.

The VDM sends 1 command so if there is a delay I suspect it is inherent with the AI units since they are responsible to chain the command 1 AI unit to the other.

Sidewinder33
05/25/2011, 11:31 PM
I do believe the storm function isn't working properly at this time. I had a storm set up for a once a week occurrence and it did the same thing. Just will have to sit tight till the next release for the storm function

jbachert
05/26/2011, 01:21 PM
Mine are the same....the lightning looks horrible so I have it disabled. I hope it is something that get's fixed.

gbreynol
05/26/2011, 05:38 PM
Here is my lightning storm under 4B11.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gw7Vqgd-Kbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sidewinder33
05/26/2011, 07:47 PM
Please tell me that every time you have a storm you have the lightning strike and rain storm sounds going too. I actually thought about doing the same, but ran out of steam on the project.

gbreynol
05/26/2011, 08:26 PM
Please tell me that every time you have a storm you have the lightning strike and rain storm sounds going too. I actually thought about doing the same, but ran out of steam on the project.

I do. I took an old iPod Nano I put on repeat mode with a storm mp3 I found online. I connected it to an old boombox. When the lightning statement is triggered it turns on the stereo. Simple but it gets the job done.

jbachert
05/27/2011, 09:22 AM
Here is my lightning storm under 4B11.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gw7Vqgd-Kbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is how mine looks - and it looks nothing like the lightning that is generated when people are using the AI light controller.

[WDT]TardFarmer
05/28/2011, 09:19 PM
Mine looks the same as yours jbachert

jbachert
05/28/2011, 09:41 PM
I wonder if this is something that will be resolved in a newer Apex firmware. The lightning that happens now looks goofy so I just have it disabled. If it looked like the lighting that is produced by the AI controller I would definitely want to use it, but with the lights blinking on and off in a non-synchronized manner it doesn't look like lightning.

[WDT]TardFarmer
05/28/2011, 10:09 PM
I hope so, I disabled mine also. My wife thought I was having a rave.. :) I am assuming it is a bug.

Sidewinder33
05/30/2011, 02:18 AM
I do. I took an old iPod Nano I put on repeat mode with a storm mp3 I found online. I connected it to an old boombox. When the lightning statement is triggered it turns on the stereo. Simple but it gets the job done.

Thats a great idea, heck I might have to look into that.

Just so everyone knows the previous firmware (which didn't allow for triple channel light control) had no issues with the lightning/storm feature. This is just an unforeseen bug that probably came up when the individual light channel control option was implemented.

I have no doubt that the issue is already being worked on for the next release, the guys at Neptune Systems do a pretty good job about fixing stuff like this in a timely manner.

jbachert
06/02/2011, 01:11 PM
Thats a great idea, heck I might have to look into that.

Just so everyone knows the previous firmware (which didn't allow for triple channel light control) had no issues with the lightning/storm feature. This is just an unforeseen bug that probably came up when the individual light channel control option was implemented.

I have no doubt that the issue is already being worked on for the next release, the guys at Neptune Systems do a pretty good job about fixing stuff like this in a timely manner.

I sure hope it is fixed soon!

RussM
06/02/2011, 02:23 PM
If you really want to do lightning, rig up one of these http://www.lights-alive.com/ctrl_firefly.html with a couple of Ecoxotic Stunner strips or equivalent. Even has thunder sounds on a CD :D

gbreynol
06/02/2011, 02:39 PM
I PM'ed Kenargo about the bug on 5/25/11, and he said he would pass it along. So hopefully it is corrected soon.

FuzzyLogic
06/02/2011, 03:00 PM
I PM'ed Kenargo about the bug on 5/25/11, and he said he would pass it along. So hopefully it is corrected soon.

I had sent an email to Curt (5/31 Tuesday) asking about a different issue. He said that he would be posting a beta firmware version for us to test this week. It's almost Friday but haven't seen any posts yet. :hmm1:

djkms
06/02/2011, 05:47 PM
I too have the same issue. This almost leads me to believe that each AI unit can be controlled individually. Anyone agree? Would be pretty sweet if thats the case. The newest gen of LEDs can ramp up LEDs individually. I saw a cool video of a fixture that gradually started to ramp up the lights from left to right, it was awesome.

Also if I put lightning storms to 100% and intensity to 100% it takes a few minutes for the storm to actually happen....

[WDT]TardFarmer
06/02/2011, 06:06 PM
I agree it looks to me like we could control the modules individually which would be super cool for different levels of intensity for different areas of the tank.

gbreynol
06/04/2011, 10:25 PM
Bug still remains in 4D11.