PDA

View Full Version : Need a little advice on these fish...

WienerDog
05/25/2011, 10:19 AM
I have a 90 FOWLR and have currently:

3 Chromis, Foxface, Valentini Puffer, Spotted goby, percula, and a pseudo. All are pretty small as of now. I would like to know if I can add these guys or a combination of and are the hardy?

Flagfin Angel
Racoon butterfly
Lemonpeel Angel
and a parrotfish (the white and orange ones)

I like all of them and would like to eventually have them all.

Kahuna Tuna
05/25/2011, 12:19 PM
Parrotfish are hard to keep alive long term and the flagfin is not a very hardy angel but the lemonpeel is a good choice and the racoon is about the hardiest butterfly around. I think you would be pushing your bioload by adding all four of these fish (or four other similarly sized fish) but I do think you could add a few more.

WienerDog
05/25/2011, 12:43 PM
Parrotfish are hard to keep alive long term and the flagfin is not a very hardy angel but the lemonpeel is a good choice and the racoon is about the hardiest butterfly around. I think you would be pushing your bioload by adding all four of these fish (or four other similarly sized fish) but I do think you could add a few more.

I would really be happy with the racoon and the lemonpeel. Thanks!!

Monkeyfish
05/25/2011, 12:48 PM
If "white and orange" parrot refers to the bi-color parrot (Cetoscarus Bicolor)... these fish grow to be almost 3 feet long so I don't think it would be a good fit in your 90G ;). Plus they rarely survive in home aquaria for more than a year.

Flagfins are not very hardy (not sure if this due to collection practices or the species) and really need a larger tank.

The butterfly and lemonpeel would do okay, but the butterfly you named can reach 8" in length - as can the foxface you already have. Too much bioload IMO.

What kind of pseudochromis do you have? Most are quite aggressive and some can also grow quite large.

WienerDog
05/25/2011, 12:56 PM
If "white and orange" parrot refers to the bi-color parrot (Cetoscarus Bicolor)... these fish grow to be almost 3 feet long so I don't think it would be a good fit in your 90G ;). Plus they rarely survive in home aquaria for more than a year.

Flagfins are not very hardy (not sure if this due to collection practices or the species) and really need a larger tank.

The butterfly and lemonpeel would do okay, but the butterfly you named can reach 8" in length - as can the foxface you already have. Too much bioload IMO.

What kind of pseudochromis do you have? Most are quite aggressive and some can also grow quite large.
Just read up on the parrotfish...In the LFS he's about 4" and did just notice he's gonna get huge. Out the window....with that one. The pseudo is a bi-color and so far is really small...1.5" Do you believe I should keep the foxface as the big fish in the tank? If so, I'll just go with the lemonpeel and another percula for the one I alreadsy have. I would dig a wrasse but my tank is uncovered. ( I am sure I am gonna catch a rash o' $%#@ for that) I would also really rather have a Flame as opposed to the lemonpeel. I have yet to hear people keeping their Flame's long term though.

betamed
05/25/2011, 06:43 PM
Just read up on the parrotfish...In the LFS he's about 4" and did just notice he's gonna get huge. Out the window....with that one. The pseudo is a bi-color and so far is really small...1.5" Do you believe I should keep the foxface as the big fish in the tank? If so, I'll just go with the lemonpeel and another percula for the one I alreadsy have. I would dig a wrasse but my tank is uncovered. ( I am sure I am gonna catch a rash o' $%#@ for that) I would also really rather have a Flame as opposed to the lemonpeel. I have yet to hear people keeping their Flame's long term though.

Flame angels are a good hardy fish if well fed in an established tank

prop-frags
05/26/2011, 05:00 AM
Agree with betamed... As we kept a Flame Angel for 8 years.

Korrine
05/26/2011, 07:22 AM
The Raccoon will get to big. I looked at one for my 75g. Now I have a 150 waiting to be set up :D

Get a flame from Christmas Islands.

<b><big><big><big>Flame On! My Favorite Dwarf Angelfish, </big></big></big><big><big><big>Centropyge loricula by Bob Fenner</big></big></big></b>

The flame is collected and imported from several areas. Hawaii has a limited market in deep water and therefore expensive specimens. The Philippines are a mixed lot with some shipments being exemplary, others absolute garbage. The best, consistent orders I've received directly or not have hailed from Christmas and Marshall Islands collectors. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/angels/centropyge/loricula.htm

Monkeyfish
05/26/2011, 09:31 AM
I would also really rather have a Flame as opposed to the lemonpeel. I have yet to hear people keeping their Flame's long term though.

Most flame angels turn yellowish orange as they age.

Bi-color dottybacks can reach 3 inches in length and can be real terrors. One of the more aggressive dottybacks.

What about a wrasse?
Carpenters
McCosker
Filamented
Lubbock's

WienerDog
05/26/2011, 09:53 AM
Most flame angels turn yellowish orange as they age.

Bi-color dottybacks can reach 3 inches in length and can be real terrors. One of the more aggressive dottybacks.

What about a wrasse?
Carpenters
McCosker
Filamented
Lubbock's

Def gonna do a wrasse. Just wanted to make him the last edition. So, I went to my LFS and the guy showed me a Singapore Angel. I have been with him for quite some time so I tend to believe him. I told him I am gonna add a Flame Angel. He only had a very small one in at the time and he kinda steered me away from him. However, he showed me a Singapore and I got him. He had him in the 15g display with that flame. He said they get along as long as the flame is into'd last.....OK, now some opinions?????

Monkeyfish
05/26/2011, 11:11 AM
Singapore angels are great fish IF you can get one that eats. The majority of them waste away in captivity and refuse to eat. If you find one that's eating ... awesome! I wouldn't put two dwarf angels in a 75g. It's been done, but the odds are against you. Most likely one will make the other miserable, if it doesn't kill him.

The dwarf angels are probably more aggressive than a lot of the smaller fairy wrasses. I'd put the angel in last.

WienerDog
05/26/2011, 11:36 AM
Singapore angels are great fish IF you can get one that eats. The majority of them waste away in captivity and refuse to eat. If you find one that's eating ... awesome! I wouldn't put two dwarf angels in a 75g. It's been done, but the odds are against you. Most likely one will make the other miserable, if it doesn't kill him.

The dwarf angels are probably more aggressive than a lot of the smaller fairy wrasses. I'd put the angel in last.

Its a 90g, but still 75/90 pretty much the same.