PDA

View Full Version : 75 gallon species tank

pr12
05/25/2011, 08:53 PM
I'm looking for idea's for a single fish for my 75 gallon, maybe 2. I'd prefer something that will be able to live out its entire life span in this size tank, but will have a larger tank in a year and a half once I move and have the room. Hoping to find something with alot of personality that is out and about and under $200. The tank is a 75 gallon RR, about 100 lbs, 30 gallon sump with a refugium, and skimmer. Tank is 7+ yrs old, but I moved it in December and it has had clownfish, damsels, and a royal gramma since.

thelizardkin
05/25/2011, 09:47 PM
A octopus would be cool

Definitive_Aqua
05/25/2011, 11:02 PM
stingray - but only if your up for a challenge and i would recommend having some saltwater experience.

rocking
05/25/2011, 11:51 PM
i would just go with two clown fish and leave it at that tell u are ready for more

jjk_reef00
05/26/2011, 12:05 AM
stingray - but only if your up for a challenge and i would recommend having some saltwater experience.

You need a much larger tank to keep a ray...

I would go for an undulated trigger. Or some lion fish (I'm not sure which because I'm not experienced with lions).

Sitarangi
05/26/2011, 01:25 AM
Get a lion or two.... Or a nice moray with some damsels. If you wanna splurge go for a Rhinophias.

D5HP
05/26/2011, 06:51 AM
I'd get an undulated trigger. Hands down.

Beautiful and equally mean.

May eventually get a little cramped in a 75g but it would love it for a long long time.

Otherwise...two radiata lionfish and some damsels.

-D

tymon
05/26/2011, 06:59 AM
get dwarf lions they are the best.

michael_cb_125
05/26/2011, 06:59 AM
What about a Zebra Eel.

I have a 2" Zebra that is a big baby. He is always out and about and will even let me pick him up and scratch behind his gill openings.

~Michael

pr12
05/26/2011, 09:38 AM
A octopus would be cool
That will actually be for another tank once I'm moved, my family didnt quite think it would be cool.
I'd get an undulated trigger. Hands down.

Beautiful and equally mean.

May eventually get a little cramped in a 75g but it would love it for a long long time.

Otherwise...two radiata lionfish and some damsels.

-D
I was told to steer clear of triggers by my LFS when I had my eye on an undulated that they had in, was told their too mean, but I do love the color and watching them swim. The lions and damsels would be great too, I'll definetly have to look into those.

What about a Zebra Eel.

I have a 2" Zebra that is a big baby. He is always out and about and will even let me pick him up and scratch behind his gill openings.

~Michael

I do love these guys, but was worried that they would always stay in the rock. Do you keep any other fish with him?

michael_cb_125
05/26/2011, 10:00 AM
I have my Zebra eel in with the following fish:

Declivis Butterflyfish
Swallowtail Angelfish
Yellow Tang
Royal Grammas
Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby
Longnose Hawkfish

The eel is a model citizen and is out and about 90% of the time begging for food.
It is so funny to watch him smell my hand and gently "taste" me. These guys have horrible eyesight, but amazing smell. He will tear into food but will only give me and the other fish love bites. I have actually seen my swallowtail angel in the eels mouth, only to swim out unharmed.

~Michael

pr12
05/26/2011, 10:22 AM
I have my Zebra eel in with the following fish:

Declivis Butterflyfish
Swallowtail Angelfish
Yellow Tang
Royal Grammas
Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby
Longnose Hawkfish

The eel is a model citizen and is out and about 90% of the time begging for food.
It is so funny to watch him smell my hand and gently "taste" me. These guys have horrible eyesight, but amazing smell. He will tear into food but will only give me and the other fish love bites. I have actually seen my swallowtail angel in the eels mouth, only to swim out unharmed.

~Michael

Thats great, if I go this route then I could move my clown's to this tank and use their's for an angler tank instead of setting up a new one. Do these guys actually get the 5' that live aquaria states?
Also any experiance with Yellow Banana Eel, Brazilian Horned Dragon Moray Eel, or Jeweled Moray Eel? I love the Banana Eel and pair of Jeweled Moray's that DD has right now, but I'm not sure if they'd be comfterble in a 75 gallon.

wnehez
05/26/2011, 10:30 AM
I have a Dwarf lion and a Russel lion. The dwarf doesnt seem as fun/personable as the russel. He is beautiful and will follow me all around the tank. He leaves everyone do their business snd jus sits and watches like an old man making sure no kids come on his lawn. haha... but yea, i love lions and i think if u got two that would be a really nice addition. The russel also hangs out all day and night. he doesnt hide like the dwarf in the rocks. He jus seems more exiting/interesting to watch.

namxas
05/26/2011, 01:53 PM
It's possible your dwarf may be a bit intimidated by the Russel's, esp. if there's a decent size differential.

As for a 75, a couple of medium-bodied Pterois lions (mombassae, antennata, radiata) would be nice. A M-F-F trio of fuzzy dwarf lions (Dendrochirus brachypterus) would be nice too.

To round it out, you could keep a small scorp (Scorpaenodes sp.) or two as bottom dwellers. Waspfish also make good tankmates for dwarf lions. An Inimucus sp. stingfish would do well with the medium lions.

A Rhinopias sp. would be awesome as well and could be kept with medium lions. This is a great time of year to find Scorpaeniformes
, BTW.

Just THINK how cool seeing fish like these every day would be...:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/100g%20rhinopias%20and%20volitan/fronnyfull.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/hixphotobucket/100g%20rhinopias%20and%20volitan/rhinoleaf700.jpg
HTH

fishyman12
05/26/2011, 02:21 PM
I would go with a volitan lionfish snowflake eel combo. Always interesting to look at and feeding is fun

pr12
05/26/2011, 03:57 PM
It's possible your dwarf may be a bit intimidated by the Russel's, esp. if there's a decent size differential.

As for a 75, a couple of medium-bodied Pterois lions (mombassae, antennata, radiata) would be nice. A M-F-F trio of fuzzy dwarf lions (Dendrochirus brachypterus) would be nice too.

To round it out, you could keep a small scorp (Scorpaenodes sp.) or two as bottom dwellers. Waspfish also make good tankmates for dwarf lions. An Inimucus sp. stingfish would do well with the medium lions.

A Rhinopias sp. would be awesome as well and could be kept with medium lions. This is a great time of year to find Scorpaeniformes
, BTW.

Just THINK how cool seeing fish like these every day would be...:

HTH

I love your Rhinopias, you keep some amazing fish, and I would absolutly love to have a Rhinopias if I find one. With the lions does it matter the sexes, or just any 2 should get along fine?

I would go with a volitan lionfish snowflake eel combo. Always interesting to look at and feeding is fun
I almost bought a volitan, but decided against it because I think that my tank will be to small for it before next December and dont want it to feel cramped.

Feashman
05/26/2011, 04:59 PM
have you thought of an Orbiculate batfish? they're really personable once they start eating, and they'll start coming up to your hand to feed. really cool fish, and a juvi is definitely under $200. they'll def need a larger tank, but a juvi would do just fine in a 75. the key is to get a healthy one to start...

namxas
05/26/2011, 05:53 PM
Pterois sp. typically don't seem to mind each other very much, and none of them are truly sexually dimorphic/dichromic, altho there are certain mature specimens that give us a "feeling" for as to their sex.

Dwarf lions don't tolerate other conspecific males, but fuzzies and barberi are easily sexed.

pr12
05/26/2011, 06:52 PM
have you thought of an Orbiculate batfish? they're really personable once they start eating, and they'll start coming up to your hand to feed. really cool fish, and a juvi is definitely under $200. they'll def need a larger tank, but a juvi would do just fine in a 75. the key is to get a healthy one to start...
They are definetly cool, but a bit to big for me and I dont think I have anyone that would take it when it outgrew my tank.

Pterois sp. typically don't seem to mind each other very much, and none of them are truly sexually dimorphic/dichromic, altho there are certain mature specimens that give us a "feeling" for as to their sex.

Dwarf lions don't tolerate other conspecific males, but fuzzies and barberi are easily sexed.

Thank you, I will definetly be looking into them.