PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstein Sump

dagon138
05/25/2011, 09:22 PM
Sump Idea for my elos 70
So I have 27x21.5x27 (WxDxH) to work with under the cabinet.
Don't have a skimmer picked out yet, just have my return pump an tunze 1073.04. Don't plan on using Filter Socks usually. Don't care about bubbles in the fuge.

Actually I have more height than 27 that for most of the tank, as there's a 1/2 thick cross-bar running along the back 3/4 of the cabinet. I figure I'll probably use that for skimmer height adjustments, piping, Carbon canisters etc.This is sort of the concept of lifereef design Compact LifeReefguium II.

So I'm thinking of the following:
Eshopps Reef Sumps RS-75
18" x 10" x 16" H
Skimmer Area is 12x10

This area is where the overflow will dump, and the return pump will have a manifold that goes to return line but also my fuge.

For the Refigium I thought to go BIG, I also like the fact that it's covered.

TruVu Platinum Series Basic Sump Model 75 (http://www.truvuaquariums.com/plsebasumo75.html)
Dims: 26x10x16

This leaves me with a left over foot print of 8x11 for an ATO container which is a MUST. I'll have to build/find something. Hopefully I can get at least 5g out of it by stretching out the height.

Issues:
1. Getting the water into the fuge - Thinking of manifold off the return pump that sits in RS-7th, going intro drilled fitting on the fuge that connects to spray bar inside.
2. Getting the water out of the fuge. I'm open for suggestions.
3. Leak down tests (power outage) will it flood the RS-75?
4. Seems to me there is lots of wasted height here..16 inches seems to be the tallest I see this stuff.. with 27 inches I have a bit more height to play with.

tkeracer619
05/25/2011, 09:54 PM
If you go to high you will have a hard time getting the skimmer in and out. You also generally need 8 inches of water for the skimmer. Any higher and your going to start loosing efficiency depending on the skimmer.

dagon138
05/25/2011, 10:41 PM
Sorry wrong forum..