PDA

View Full Version : What is this????

disc1
05/25/2011, 11:44 PM
Found this crawling on the glass tonight. Its about 4 or 5 inches long stretched out. About 2 inches around scrunched up like it is in the pic. I thought it was a gigantic stomatella until I looked at its back. Zero shell. Once I put the lights on and freaked it out it went to the surface and floated itself off the glass upside down. I have seen it crawling across the sand before. I caught it while it was floating and got this pic. It has antennas or eye stalks or something but tiny. I can't really make out the mouth.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

disc1
05/25/2011, 11:50 PM
Here it is from the underside after it floated itself off the side of the deli cup. I can see it has a tiny mouth kinda like a snail.

dzhuo
05/26/2011, 12:34 AM
It's a flatworm.

Pallobi
05/26/2011, 12:52 AM
It's a flatworm.

Agreed

Rockys_Pride
05/26/2011, 01:12 AM
Really? Thought flat worms were smaller?

Have a look through here, http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchhikers.html. This website has helped me ID so many things it's ridiculous.

Ok agree flatworm. Go to above link, then worms, scroll to the bottom. Yours looks exactly like the first pic of flat worms.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

cside
05/26/2011, 04:23 AM
I had one of those. Pretty sure its a P. texarus. its a fw. i dont know what they feed on, but my corals were fine. it died in a month. but it was fun to watch :wildone: when it used to slide along my lr.

JokerGirl
05/26/2011, 05:16 AM
It's a polyclad flatworm. Traditionally, they are predators of molluscs, so any clams and snails you have in your tank would be fair game for it.

Sugar Magnolia
05/26/2011, 06:41 AM
It's a polyclad flatworm. Traditionally, they are predators of molluscs, so any clams and snails you have in your tank would be fair game for it.

Erin is correct! Predatory polyclad.

Korrine
05/26/2011, 07:13 AM
That thing looks huge! I'd be freakin out cause I don't like creepy looking freaky things...

Bilk
05/26/2011, 07:23 AM
That thing looks huge! I'd be freakin out cause I don't like creepy looking freaky things...
Isn't that pretty much everything in a reef tank? Lol:lolspin:

Korrine
05/26/2011, 07:25 AM
um...yea... I'm really careful when I grab rock. I don't like to grab without seeing where my hand is first. I'm really careful when I'm working in my tank cause I know what comes out at night!

Bilk
05/26/2011, 07:27 AM
um...yea... I'm really careful when I grab rock. I don't like to grab without seeing where my hand is first. I'm really careful when I'm working in my tank cause I know what comes out at night!

Lol that's ok. I don't lik some of the creepy crawly things either :p. Gloves are a good option.

frankpayne32
05/26/2011, 07:46 AM
That is a big a$$ flatworm.

disc1
05/26/2011, 08:12 AM
So there probably more where this one came from? Should I be concerned?

noahm
05/26/2011, 08:53 AM
So there probably more where this one came from? Should I be concerned?

unlike standard planaria/flatworms, these usually show up as single hitchhikers. It would be unusual to have more, but not impossible.