PDA

View Full Version : starving SPS corals...?

mtaswt
05/26/2011, 08:26 AM
I have a few SPS corals that I just can't get to stay alive. LPS corals seem to do just fine?

Typical Routine:
I feed fish twice a day....typically pellets when I get home, and then frozen before bed (2 cubes). I then typically spot feed the LPS once a week.
I also run GFO and carbon in a dual reactor.

Could it be possible that I am "starving" my corals? How often should I feed the reef?

Parameters are as follows:
Age of tank: 6 months
Size of tank: 156
Sump: 55 gallon
Skimmer: PM Redline 175
nitrate: 10-15
ammonia: 0
temperature: 79-81
Water source: ro/di
Salinity: 1.024-1.025
Alkalinity: 9-10 Hanna Checker
Phosphate: 0 Hanna Checker
Lights: 8bulb ATI Powermodule
Calcium: 420ish
Magnesium: need to check this--typically 1350+
Dosing? BRS 2 part (manual)---kalk in ATO

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks--Matthew

dbilderback
05/26/2011, 08:42 AM
I would try some Marine Snow with pumps off for a bit I also use Oyster Feast

110galreef
05/26/2011, 08:44 AM
Sounds like a decent amount of food given the tank size. How many fish? You are feeding more than me & i have a 250g & 40g frag tank!

May have more to do with the elevated Nitrates? Or that tank is still somewhat new.
How often do you WC? OLD bubs??

Maybe remove GFO. PO4 of 0 is good but low, maybe the SPS want a tad more two. Try & see if PO4 is fine w/o GFO. Cheaper & easier too!

My PO4 is hovering right around .01 and corlas seem to do very well.

dbilderback
05/26/2011, 08:49 AM
Very good point I was only thinking a more digestable food

mtaswt
05/26/2011, 08:54 AM
I change water every two weeks, and I change the GFO about once a month. I have 13 fish, and my bulbs are 6-7 months old...

I will pull the GFO off line this weekend to see if that changes anything?

110galreef
05/26/2011, 08:56 AM
I will pull the GFO off line this weekend to see if that changes anything?

Maybe start slow & cut in half & see how it goes, then maybe another half next go around if still good, then completetly remove.

mtaswt
05/26/2011, 09:03 AM
Maybe start slow & cut in half & see how it goes, then maybe another half next go around if still good, then completetly remove.

What if I just leave it alone and let it run its course(use itself up)......wouldn't that be the same, in a way, as slowly removing it?

Thanks for the suggestions

110galreef
05/26/2011, 09:09 AM
Yeah I suppose, just watch closely to PO4 levels after you take it off completly as they may begin to rise if the GFO is really doing a lot.

I have been lucky and only run a skimmer & dose 2 part & PO4 has been perfect for me. If I see it drop under .01 I start to feed my fish a tad more for the next few days. I too only do WC's every 2 weeks of about 15%

scuzy
05/26/2011, 09:14 AM
Yeah i am also running into the same issues. My green slimer frag is starting to dye off like notice tissue loss on the tips of the frag and the pink birds nest is almost dead. I am not sure what i am doing wrong either. the frogspawn and bunch of Zoas are doing great. I'm kinda at a lost on what i am doing. I did the normal check of my water params and they seem fine except i haven't checked on Cal, Alk or Mag. I'l ltake a sample in to my LFS for an analysis.

mtaswt
05/26/2011, 09:16 AM
Yeah i am also running into the same issues. My green slimer frag is starting to dye off like notice tissue loss on the tips of the frag and the pink birds nest is almost dead. I am not sure what i am doing wrong either. the frogspawn and bunch of Zoas are doing great. I'm kinda at a lost on what i am doing. I did the normal check of my water params and they seem fine except i haven't checked on Cal, Alk or Mag. I'l ltake a sample in to my LFS for an analysis.

If you find out what the issue is let me know, because it sounds like I am in the same boat as you..

Nexenn
05/26/2011, 09:29 AM
How is your water flow? You are NOT starving the sps. You don't even have to feed them and they will grow fine with strong lighting, powerful waterflow and clean water. It is more likely based off your water Chem that your water isn't clean enough for sps. Lps likes dirty water.

110galreef
05/26/2011, 09:33 AM
agree with maybe flow too.

mtaswt
05/26/2011, 09:34 AM
How is your water flow? You are NOT starving the sps. You don't even have to feed them and they will grow fine with strong lighting, powerful waterflow and clean water. It is more likely based off your water Chem that your water isn't clean enough for sps. Lps likes dirty water.

I think I have plenty of flow?---2 MP 40's (although turned down to 75% to keep LPS happy)

Not trying to be smart, but what could be "cleaner" than what I have now?

110galreef
05/26/2011, 09:40 AM
I think I have plenty of flow?---2 MP 40's (although turned down to 75% to keep LPS happy)

Not trying to be smart, but what could be "cleaner" than what I have now?

Flow looks to be pretty decent.....as to "cleaner"

Tank may be dirty is the sense that your PO4 level is actually higher, just that you are stripping it so fast from the tank that the test don't show it.

Pulling the GFO will really show if you really have high PO4 or are adding a lot via feeding.
Plus your nitrates are high and for some reason!

110galreef
05/26/2011, 09:43 AM
Skimmer may also be a tad under sized for SPS tank that is pretty well stocked as your is too.

AquaReeferMan
05/26/2011, 09:59 AM
I had issues with SPS until I got them in a system that had and mantained 0 nitrates. 15ppm is rather high for some SPS. What kind were you trying? Also FWIW I never feed any of my corals. They get nothing but light and fish poop...

Palting
05/26/2011, 12:40 PM
I have a mixed reef, and I ran into the exact opposite of your problem. My SPS are growing legs and arms and extensions not just from the frag itself, but from the the disc that they came in. My LPS, OTOH, were receding. After a lot of research, and trial and error on feeding, here's what I know about the differences between SPS and LPS.

SPS do not have to be "fed". They do not like high nutrient level water. Most of their nutrition comes from good lighting, and only a little from what they can get from the water column. They like good water flow, and I have two 1050 K Evos typhooning them directly, and they love it. They are poorly tolerant of any parameter that is out of whack.

LPS like high nutrient water, preferably via target feeding, usually at night when their feeder tentacles are out. They prefer moderate flow and moderate light in general, and are more tolerant to poor water relative to SPS.

Seems your tank and your husbandry is set up biased towards LPS. Not knowing anything else about you or your tank other than what you have provided above, I would suggest less feeding, more light, and more flow, tighter control on parameters, such as getting that phosphate down.

Nexenn
05/27/2011, 04:02 PM
Nitrates too high is the answer until proven otherwise IMO

allsps40
05/27/2011, 07:17 PM
I agree, no3 is a little high IMO shoot for 3-5ppm. I dont think you are starving the corals with 10-15ppm no3. Pics of corals would help.

Bigcefa
05/27/2011, 08:48 PM
i vote for upgrade in skimmer

ludiNano
05/27/2011, 09:19 PM
personally i would just be adding my first fish and wouldnt even have any coral in a 6 month old system. Im a firm believer in letting a tank mature a little before i add anything let the early algea cycles go by and make sure i get my params in check. And then only adding a fish a month for a while so system can adapt.