PDA

View Full Version : Dosing on water change day

Jfannin
05/26/2011, 09:19 AM
I fill like a new B for asking this being that I've been in the hobby for a few years know. But just wondering, should I hold off on 2 part doseing on the say day as my weekly water Change day? I heard I shouldn't. Figured I would ask you all.

40g breeder 20g sump full SPS 15g WC weekly. Most often around 1 or 2 pm

I always manuly dose around 10pm Ca and Alk 9cc each daily. I keep my peramitors the same as my salt mix. But I'm wondering if doseing say several hours after the WC would cause a spike in my Ca and Alk. Being the the WC could also be adding Ca and Alk.

But then again I keep my ank at a Ca of 420 and a Alk of 9. if I'm doing a WC I'm just pulling out the water that has a Ca 420 and Alk 9 and then replacing it with fresh salt water that has the same amount of Ca and Alk. So with this theory I'm figuring that there wouldn't be any Ca or Alk spike.

I'm about to order dozing pumps because I'm sick of manuly doseing.

disc1
05/26/2011, 10:44 AM
If the new water matches the tank water I would say go ahead and do your regular dose since the state of the tank really isn't changing. A 9cc dose isn't that much, so I wouldn't worry about an overdose or anything.

thegrun
05/26/2011, 10:48 AM
I dose prior to my water change (waste of additives?), test and adjust the parameters the next day. I'm not sure if that is the best way, but that's how I do it.

ReeferBill
05/26/2011, 10:56 AM
Since I have not upgraded to auto dosing pumps for my 2-part additives . I would not dose on the water change days but when I add the auto pumps I would and I am sure everyone else that has pumps does the same.:fish1:

IslandCrow
05/26/2011, 02:52 PM
I'm with disc1. With daily dosing, the amount is relatively small, and it just isn't going to make a difference. If you were dosing larger amounts weekly, that may require more thought on your dosing plan, but even then, I'd say only if you're doing rather large water changes.

Jfannin
05/30/2011, 02:17 PM
Sounds like I will just stick to the daily doseing, being that once I get my doseing pumps they'll be programed to dose dayly anyways.

Thanks for the replys and help

snorvich
05/30/2011, 04:16 PM
I'm with disc1. With daily dosing, the amount is relatively small, and it just isn't going to make a difference. If you were dosing larger amounts weekly, that may require more thought on your dosing plan, but even then, I'd say only if you're doing rather large water changes.

Agreed.

musicman1968
05/30/2011, 07:28 PM
I also agree. The only time I might be concerned is if I switched salt brands, because each have different trace elements

Reverend Reefer
05/30/2011, 08:46 PM
that's very interesting. never thought about it since i have the 2 part automated...