PDA

View Full Version : BC29 High Temps

lordofthereef
05/26/2011, 12:42 PM
We keep the room where the BC29 is at 70 degrees year round. Temps IN the tank have been high though, running over 84 degrees - we were up to 87 the other night. I decided to do a test and shut everything off for the night, expect the powerhead (MP10... so shouldn't be adding any heat). Temp was still 80 degrees the following morning.

Any ideas? Was toying with the thought of adding a fan, but at this rate it would be on 24/7 and evaporating tons of water. A chiller is an option too, I suppose. I guess I am just having trouble wrapping my head around these temps. I know they are accurate as I have gotten reading of the room and water in various points with different instruments.

ange062
05/26/2011, 04:05 PM
Common problem unfortunately, especially as you add more pumps (skimmer, powerhead, etc). Even the MP10 likely adds some amount of head, just not as much as a fully submersed one. The fan works, but as you mentioned causes evap problems.

I decided to go the chiller route for piece of mind and ultimate control. I figure it will pay for itself in a matter of months because I can turn up my house AC to 80 while I am away and that's FAR more expensive to run then a chiller.

aquaenthusiast
05/26/2011, 08:04 PM
Your going to have to top off anyways, so why not add some fans (way cheaper than than a chiller) and rig up a simple auto top off system, you'll save $300 to $400 bucks on buying a new chiller, or you could wait and look for someone selling theirs at a lower price. The wattage of a efficient fan is a lot less $$ than the wattage of a chiller and works just as well. Just depends what you want fits you best.

Reefa25
05/26/2011, 08:13 PM
I have desktop fan.. I stay at 76. 7$

lordofthereef
05/27/2011, 11:11 AM
I guess my question then is how you guys are adding fans. I can appreciate how inexpensive a clip on fan can be, but I feel it's going to look terrible. Sort of defeats the purpose of the stock biocube look IMO. Has anyone added a fan that provides enough cooling and give some semblance of a stock look?

Reefer-Diver
05/27/2011, 04:55 PM
I have a 14BC and my buddy has a 29BC with MH. We both bought these fans on ebay and use them in conjunction with our RKL. They completely solved our high temps problems and look good too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ChillMaster-Saltwater-Aquarium-Cooling-Fan-2-fan-/330565709115?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf7406d3b

lordofthereef
05/28/2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the link. It actually does look nice. I know with the HQI, you don't have a closed top. On your 14, it is fully enclosed, right? So where did you place the fan, if I may ask. Do you just keep the lid open/removed?

tlkng1
06/01/2011, 08:43 AM
My 14 was running to 81 with my house temp sitting at 72. I put a tower fan in the corner of the room to help circulate the AC better (window units) and keep the lid open with a 1/2" dowel cut to length (the ends do not stick out over the edges of the tank). I can move the dowel forwards or backwards to ease the cover up more or let it come down. I upgraded my lighting but now, temps remain between 76-78 even when the lights have been on for a few hours.

lordofthereef
06/02/2011, 10:57 AM
That's not a bad idea. I think I will give that a try.