PDA

View Full Version : Dimmable driver options for XM-L Leds?

Dactylopterus
05/27/2011, 07:40 AM
What are the drivers used to drive the XM-L leds at 3 amp?

Now I have meanwells 60 48D but they only runs at 1,3 amp and at this current, running XP-G gives me almost the same lumens as running the XM-L.

If I want to take advantage off the XM-L output and want them dimmable, what driver can I use?

Thanks,

Jimmy54
05/27/2011, 09:41 AM
One advantage of the XM-L is indeed more lumens per watt and the possibility to run them @ ~9 watt to get ~1000 lumens.
Another advantage, and perhaps not visible to our eyes, they're more efficient, meaning; less power > same light, or same power > more light then XP-G.

It depends on how many XM-Ls you want to run -and at how many amps - to decide which driver is the best.

I am going to use 2 HLG 150 -36B meanwells to run 48 XM-Ls.
24 XM-Ls in 2 strings of 12 on each driver which will give me the flexibility to run them at anything between 700mA and 2.1A
So you might want to look at the HLG series to get the current you're looking for.

realtime3d
05/27/2011, 10:44 AM
running XP-G gives me almost the same lumens as running the XM-L.
Let me put a different twist on your perspective. I will alter the numbers slightly but it doesn't change the summary. I can run

12 XMLs @ 1.5A to get 6384 lux @ ~114lux/Watt. Initial Cost = ~$84

Or I can run

7 XMLs @ 3A to get 6370 lux @ ~91lux/Watt. Initial Cost = ~$49.

Or finally, I can run

14 XPGs @ 1.5A to get 6422lux @ ~87lux/Watt. Initial Cost = ~$70.

All provide similar output in lux. However, running your XMLs at 3A makes them behave more like XPGs than driving them at 1.5A. One difference is initial cost. However, the 7XMLs will cost ~26% more per month and the 14XPGs will cost ~32% more than the 12XMLs. The XMLs run even better at 700mA but then initial cost goes up. Numbers are based on Cool White specs.

Fwiw, the 60-48Ds can be driven harder than 1.3A. As long as you stay safely under 60W, they'll work. I've driven 12 @ 1.5A (~55W) though it was too bright for my tank.

One other advantage of doing the 'more leds at a lower current' approach is that it allows tighter optics because of the better coverage. Tighter optics will scale brightness faster than increasing current. Plus, there are less issues with heat. Besides, who wants to light the sides of a tank?

Dactylopterus
05/27/2011, 12:58 PM
Well explained realtime3D, if your calculations are right, I think I'm going with the more LEDs at lower current approach.

Jymmy54, those HLG drivers are powerful, I don't need all that power, but seems great for a future upgrade.

Thanks for the replys,