PDA

View Full Version : 2 heater setup

tnias
05/28/2011, 09:40 AM
I have been searching for hours and can't find the information I am looking.

I assume it's best to have each heater in separate outlets on the DC8 rather than both heaters on one outlet, but if they are on separate outlets do you program them the same? And if that is the case does the controller always use one and only the second if it needs more heating power.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

RussM
05/28/2011, 05:46 PM
You can double up heaters on one outlet if desired as long as the total current draw does not exceed 5 amps. If you want to keep them separate, that's ok too. How the Apex deals with multiple heaters is simply a matter of how you program the associated outlets. You can have them come on and go off at the same temperature thresholds, or you can treat one as primary and the other heater as backup by using a higher ON threshold for the backup heater.

Regardless of how you do it, be sure to put in a program statement in the heater outlet(s) to deal with the possible failure of the temp probe. A temp probe failure can cause readings of about 20 degrees or 120 degrees We are concerned with the former... A reading that is impossibly low making the heater stay on and cooking the tank. You should set it to turn off if the measured temperature is less than a few degrees below normal.

[Outlet Heater]
If Temp < 77.5 Then ON
If Temp > 78.5 Then OFF
If Temp < 72 Then OFF

tnias
05/28/2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the info.