PDA

View Full Version : Toadstool stays on its side.

APBonds
05/28/2011, 10:32 AM
I have had this toadstool for 5 months, it is attached to the rock but it lays over on its side. I started out with it high in the tank and have moved it lower now it is at the bottom and is still on its side. I have also increased water flow but there is no change. It opens up but never puts out the fans at the end of the tenticales. Its not close to any other corals and everything else is doing fine. How can I get it to stand up or do some just do this no matter what?

salinity 1.024 phos. 0.01 na. 0 ph. 8.3 kh. 12 ca. 400 temp. 80

125g tank, 30g sump, Octopus 2000 skimmer, 9w uv filter, phosphate reactor, 3 units chemipure, 800w ti heater, 1 950gph main pump, 1 200gph filter pump, in sump refuge with macro, 1 850gph circulation power head, 4 96w pc bulbs.

1 powder blue tang, 1 christmas wrasse, 1 copperband, 2 black clowns, 1 blue hanna goby,1 manderin goby, 1 scissor tale damsel, 1 firefish goby, 1 royal gramma.
2 arrow crabs, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp,10 turbo snails, 10 blue leg hurmits.
1 RBTA, 1 lobo brain, zoa's, palys, xenia, white pom pom xenia, green finger leather, metalic green star polyps, pink star poylps, 1 toadstool, mushrooms.

navy crf
05/30/2011, 05:15 AM
I have a toadstool that seperated into 3 heads and then all three heads did the same thing. The stalks got thinner and then they layed over. They acted like a fallen tree and then the trunk attached to the rock. All the polyps still opened, it just didn't stand up straight. Odd. Looking for someone else to reply.

APBonds
05/30/2011, 06:47 AM
Yeah from what I read they are supose to be one of the easiest corals lol. Thanks for the reply I was starting to wounder if no one had run into this with them.

ati70cutlass
06/17/2011, 02:13 PM
from my experience when they lay on thier side its not good. mine have all died when i saw this. they tend to rot from the inside. pull it out an smell of it and look for brown or black rot

NanoReefWanabe
06/19/2011, 07:27 AM
what is your flow like....i have mine out of direct flow but it is directly over the pump...it lays out sideways cause the intake from the pump is pulling it down..so i guess it is in direct suction,LOL...not so much flow blowing on the coral..

MJT82
06/19/2011, 03:39 PM
I've had them to grow too tall to be supported by their stalk when I rearranged the tank and took away their support structure. You might try to prop it up with a piece of LR to see if it will help. I have all of my toadstools in moderately high flow... They are pretty tolerant to various flow rates.

JuliusJames
06/19/2011, 09:12 PM
Ya this has always been a mystery to me, it happened to me once to a huge toadstool.

APBonds
06/22/2011, 03:17 PM
It is a fairly big toadstool maybe it is to heavy to suport it. It put off little toadstools and they stand up but they are tiny. I haven't seen any black or brown on it. Also it now looks to be splitting half way up the stem. It also has a 850 gph power head ponited in its direction.