PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on new EcoSmart Mode for SPS?

ChicagoReefOne
05/29/2011, 08:14 AM
It seems that by far most people on the SPS forum use the reef crest mode on their Vortechs but I wanted to hear what other people using the new EcoSmart drivers think of the new modes for the Vortechs, particularly the Nutrient Transport Mode which is supposedly made for SPS health.

I'm not sure if I buy that line, but I do I have my Vortech set to that mode since it seemed to me that reef crest was good, but the majority of the time it was on a middle power setting which was not enough flow. I found that the NTM setting creates actual waves in my tank and the flow seems much higher. Polyp extension has been great.

So what does the SPS forum think about the NTM mode? How has your experience been?

From Vortech here's the NTM description:

http://www.f3images.com/IMD/Md_images/ecotech_marine_vortech_ecosmart_nutrient_transport_mode.jpg

In this EcoSMART mode, water is circulated in a two phase program consisting of wave motion to stir up detritus and surging motion to move the detritus into your overflow where it can be skimmed out. This effect promotes maximum health and nutrient export, as well as increased growth for sensitive corals such as SPS. Adjusting the dial changes the maximum speed achieved at any time during this mode. Slave pumps should be positioned opposite the master and on the back of the tank to take full advantage of the EcoSMART modes.

JG1
05/29/2011, 08:16 AM
I love NTM, I've tried numerous other modes but keep back to NTM!

JG1
05/29/2011, 08:17 AM
Slave pumps should be positioned opposite the master and on the back of the tank to take full advantage of the EcoSMART modes.

So they saying both pumps should be on the back of the tank blowing towards the front?

skh
05/29/2011, 08:47 AM
So they saying both pumps should be on the back of the tank blowing towards the front?

I think the recommendation is for mp40s on opposite walls with an mp10 on the back wall.

MAXreefer
05/29/2011, 09:30 AM
I think the recommendation is for mp40s on opposite walls with an mp10 on the back wall.

That is correct.

I have an Apex with the WXM module and run them in several different modes during the day to get a wide variety of flow. I use Crest, Lagoon, Tidal and NTM.

Alex T.
05/29/2011, 10:20 AM
I don't have the new EcoSmart Driver, but I do have four MP40's in my 150 (72 x 18 x 27) on full blast alternating Reef Crest Mode. All I can say is that it's always nutrient export mode if you just have more pumps...:lmao:

bobbychullo
05/29/2011, 10:39 AM
i use NTM from time to time (maybe for a few hours or more) to help export some detritus but Reef Crest is great for me.

It gets the water moving pretty good. I have 2 MP10's. the only thing i really cant make up my mind on is sync or antisync. i had it anti for a while but now I kinda like the sync mode.

Reef Crest seems the most natural to me. if you notice it'll go thru periods where it keeps its average speed pretty high but other times it'll do the opposite, keeping it lower. i think it is replicating the varying energy that happens in the ocean, its not super high flow all the time...

bobbychullo
05/29/2011, 10:40 AM
I don't have the new EcoSmart Driver, but I do have four MP40's in my 150 (72 x 18 x 27) on full blast alternating Reef Crest Mode. All I can say is that it's always nutrient export mode if you just have more pumps...:lmao:

ahahaha this is true. if i get my vortechs up high enough even on reef crest mode it suspends the detritus pretty well.

gig
05/29/2011, 10:42 AM
Still undecided, I do like the waves that ntm creates, I just switched back to reef crest to see how things respond...I use two mp40's in a standard rr 180

Funky_Fish14
06/03/2011, 06:05 AM
I have a 60 gal semi-cube (27x30x18tall outside dims). I currently only have a mag 3 feeding the tank, and 1 MP10w ES.

The vortech is on one side of the tank, turned to 100% in Reef Crest mode, and I get flow through the entire tank. There isn't a single dead spot around the front of the rock work. However, its not as much flow as I would like... I want to pick up a second MP10. (I have an apex and will be getting a WXM as soon as I get the second vortech). My PE is crazy though. I find as others have mentioned, sometimes the vortech spends more time on the high end, and sometimes more time on the low end. I havent really tried the NTM mode, i'll have to do so and report back on any changes, but so far i've been happy with the reef crest mode.

Cheers,

Chris

mos90
06/03/2011, 06:25 AM
i use 2 mp10's in ntm in anti sync in my 28g. i keep it set at about 75%. im not sure if i prefer ntm or reef crest. i like to switch back and forth. i was considering sync mode but im worried it will be too much flow.

buzzy
06/03/2011, 01:51 PM
I want to run in ntm but get worried about the waves going over the side of my tank so keep putting it back to reef crest mode

LifeAquatic
06/03/2011, 03:24 PM
I want to run in ntm but get worried about the waves going over the side of my tank so keep putting it back to reef crest mode

Easy fix. Tune your ecosmart driver so the waves dont go over the tank and save the setting. When you use NTM mode the driver will use your preset wave frequency so you dont have to worry about waves going over tank.

buzzy
06/03/2011, 04:06 PM
Do you just set the short pulse? Then the ntm mode uses that setting?

chercm
06/03/2011, 07:00 PM
use the auto mode to get the required wave in the short pulse and switch to the ntm mode . it will make use of it

ccalabro
06/03/2011, 07:28 PM
Easy fix. Tune your ecosmart driver so the waves dont go over the tank and save the setting. When you use NTM mode the driver will use your preset wave frequency so you dont have to worry about waves going over tank.

Thanks! Good information!