PDA

View Full Version : Previous freshwater tank as sump? Chemicals..

kdrof
05/29/2011, 08:22 AM
I recently purchased my new dt. My last tank was a 55 gallon. After I moved my mom asked if she could use it to put her goldfish from outside during the winter. I said I didn't care. She used ich medicine in it and I'm not sure if this was copper based.

I heard things about that being bad and was not sure if it's true. I was going to clean with bleach, or vinegar and water. But I was more worried if I should just get a different tank. A lfs said the tank will be fine.. Other readings said no. Can someone please direct me? Thanks

dlp211
05/29/2011, 08:33 AM
The tank is fine. Just do a good cleaning with vinegar.

muttley000
05/29/2011, 12:51 PM
+1 on it being fine. If it makes you feel better, fill it with SW and do a copper test in a week.

kdrof
05/29/2011, 01:02 PM
Ok makes me feel a little better. i read this and it makes me worry a little...

Cleaning it very well with white vinegar and water will be good enough unless you've EVER used copper meds to treat your FW fish in it. Don't waste your time then because the copper has been absorbed by the silicone and will leach back into the tank and you won't be able to keep corals or inverts.

muttley000
05/29/2011, 07:39 PM
Ok makes me feel a little better. i read this and it makes me worry a little...

Cleaning it very well with white vinegar and water will be good enough unless you've EVER used copper meds to treat your FW fish in it. Don't waste your time then because the copper has been absorbed by the silicone and will leach back into the tank and you won't be able to keep corals or inverts.

I consider this to be an old wive's tale. My current 29 gal sump used to be a freshwater hospital tank that was treated repeatedly. Some of the freshwater meds stain the silicone, I think thats why people think this. Testing won't lie!

kdrof
05/29/2011, 09:46 PM
Ok cool. Do you know of any copper tests that you recommend?
Thanks

b0bab0ey
05/29/2011, 09:54 PM
Ok cool. Do you know of any copper tests that you recommend?
Thanks

Salifert :thumbsup: