PDA

View Full Version : So you think you have a hair algae problem?

heckfire
05/29/2011, 09:04 AM
lights left on 24/7 for 6 days,,person checking tank topped off with tap water instead of the r/o i left next to the tank,, cheato in fuge is actually dieing due to lack of nutrients

jimmy frag
05/29/2011, 09:07 AM
time for a clean up crew and phosphate remover

BlueFyre
05/29/2011, 09:07 AM
Wow

heckfire
05/29/2011, 09:16 AM
time for a clean up crew and phosphate remover

funny you say that my snails have clumps growing on them

enerfin
05/29/2011, 10:24 AM
wow, thats no fun. good luck cleaning up his mess up. might wanna cut the lights back to like 3 hours a day for a while now that there are no coral in the tank and add a foxface.

SushiGirl
05/29/2011, 10:49 AM
Time to get a new tank sitter.
Are those rocks secured together?

reefermad619
05/29/2011, 12:12 PM
Only problem with cuc is most like the HA when it's new and short. When it gets longs they tend to stay away from it. IIRC the longer the HA is, the more tuff it is and therefore less delicious. To get rid of it quick, pull all rocks out and scrub it off.

dzhuo
05/29/2011, 02:43 PM
lights left on 24/7 for 6 days

Wait! You don't even have a timer to turn the lights on and off? You are asking someone to manually turn them each day? Even a $10 regular timer is a good investment.

sporto0
05/29/2011, 06:13 PM
scrub a dub dub those rocks, run phospate remover, test daily for levels to come down, that kind of outbreak can be hard to get rid of once it gets grip, i agree with fellow reefer who said cuc won't attack the longer tougher gha, they like short tender new growth. good luck & good reefing

b0bab0ey
05/29/2011, 06:18 PM
I've seen worse in the LFS's "display tanks" around here (KC)

heckfire
05/29/2011, 07:04 PM
Time to get a new tank sitter.
Are those rocks secured together?

yup,, holes drilled thru each on a secure base,, you should see it with no algae ,,, also the light is/was on a timer the sitter was told dont touch it,,it will turn on off on its own,, seems there is a master on/off on the top off the timer

thebkramer
05/29/2011, 07:10 PM
I had HA worse than that after a tank crash.. I believe I posted pics of it in my thread.. but anywhooo.. ;)
if you would like a quick helping hand.. the dolabella seahare LOVES HA.. the only thing is.. once its done eating it all.. it will slowly starve to death :'( so I would suggest giving to another reefer or selling to lfs...

heckfire
05/29/2011, 07:17 PM
I had HA worse than that after a tank crash.. I believe I posted pics of it in my thread.. but anywhooo.. ;)
if you would like a quick helping hand.. the dolabella seahare LOVES HA.. the only thing is.. once its done eating it all.. it will slowly starve to death :'( so I would suggest giving to another reefer or selling to lfs...

im not gonna use a animal,, time will fix it,, seahares are cool but i got 3 powerheads in there,,interesting how quick algae can grow

tozzi
05/29/2011, 07:21 PM
I tried seahares in my first tank and they wiped it out. Now in this tank i have ha now and tried 5 different seahares. 3 bluespots and 2 of the tan ones. None will eat it

thebkramer
05/29/2011, 07:22 PM
I hear ya.. they're not for everyone!! I love mine.. I have powerheads too.. he bulldozes right over them :lmao: I still have mine because I can get a constant supply of HA.. he lives in a separate tank from my DT.. my little Shrek! hahahha
Good Luck with your HA.. I'm sure you'll be done with it soon enough! :thumbsup: