PDA

View Full Version : Android App - AQT Mobile Progress

Paradiddle7
05/29/2011, 01:05 PM
I got Strept throat this weekend, so I was able to spend about 3 hours today teaching myself how to make apps for Android and a little bit about Java (instead of yard work!) Thanks to the developer of Aquastats, I have a lot of useful code that will save me time as well.

I was able to successfully connect my test Android App to the Ethernet Module and Login successfully from the app. That's a great accomplishment in just 3 hours, when you consider I had to learn about creating Apps on Android and I have never used Java before.

The first version, of the app, will just read the sensors and plugs in real time and let you modify plug states. From there, I'll probably see about doing a remote login to a remote database to view sensor data over time, which is useful for when you are traveling and you want to see what your tank has been doing for the week etc...

I'm guessing it will take me about 10-20 hours to successfully turn what I have now into an app that lay people can use. I figure that I can set aside about 2-3 hours each weekend for this, so it will probably be 3-4 weeks before you hear from me again, unless I get sick again!

yettihead
05/30/2011, 03:51 PM
Nice, keep up the good work. I have an Evo and would be interested in the app once you have it up and running.

Paradiddle7
05/30/2011, 07:35 PM
Since it's my first app, and since I'm not charging for it, I made it under the Android 2.2 API's. There's about 8-10 levels of API's, so I just chose the one my phone runs on. This way I won't run into features (API Calls) that weren't supported in earlier versions. This does still mean that older versions of Android can't run it, it's just not a guarantee that they can't. I think you'll be fine on you EVO though.

Paradiddle7
06/02/2011, 09:56 PM
This is just a little tease. I'm pulling all the sampling data just fine. I still need to map the icons and then code a way to actually control the plugs. I have to make the settings UI, as I have IP/Port/PW hard coded. I also have to support multiple plug bars.

I'm only in about 6 hours so far, but thanks to Waldo Nell, the author of Aquastats, he probably saved me a good 10 hours. Thanks Waldo

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4567&pictureid=31578

Paradiddle7
06/10/2011, 02:23 PM
So all the basic functionality of version 1 is complete. There is a UI for the setttings, the software pulls all the sensors and plug states and displays them. You can change the plug states as well.

I just need to clean up the UI (it's very raw and doesn't support scrolling or different size screens) and maybe cause a bunch of errors to make sure the user is being notified of them properly.

If anyone has an android phone and wants to try it out in it's alpha stage, just PM me and I'll get it to you. Your feedback would be valuable.

It's in a raw state, I literally just got everything working, but it does everything it's supposed too.

After this is wrapped up, I'll be working on connecting to the postgreSQL database to pull graphs of data.

Jantje
06/11/2011, 07:09 AM
Looks like its going to be a great peace of software,

Greetings Jantje,

yettihead
07/05/2011, 10:07 PM
How is the progress going on the software? Does out work with Android 2.3.3

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Paradiddle7
07/08/2011, 09:25 AM
The first version is almost done. I'm just adding support for systems using multiple plug bars and tidying up the details of the UI. I probably only have 3-4 hours more work to finish but I have had a heck of a time finding those hours.

Paradiddle7
07/15/2011, 02:51 PM
Yetti, check your PM. If you give me your email address, I can send you the latest version of the app.

RobbyG
07/25/2011, 06:54 PM
Very cool Paradiddle, I am amazed you could learn all of that in such short a period, you must be extremely gifted in programming.

Paradiddle7
08/10/2011, 09:14 AM
Once you have enough experience, in programming, you can flip to new languages and technologies very easily (usually). I would expect any competent and experienced programmer to be able to do that. I've been lucky that I never had any training or education and I was able to teach myself programming and then I got lots of work from companies which allowed me to grow and pushed me to learn.

Let's not forget that I'm using code by Waldo Nell too. He saved me an easy 20 hours of programming by providing an example and object model to communicate with the ethernet module.

Here are the latest screen shots. This user has 2 plug bars, so all the plugs are in one scrollable list. Users can change their plugs states as well.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4567&pictureid=33994

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4567&pictureid=33995

LionfishIT
08/27/2011, 12:19 PM
Nice pice of work!!
have you got a release date? have you thinking of a beta program?

Keep us informed. thanks

RobbyG
08/30/2011, 04:46 PM
Vey nice, keep us informed, over 1000 looks so it seems a lot of people are interested.

Paradiddle7
08/31/2011, 12:44 PM
If anyone wants a copy, just send me a PM and I'll email it to you. I've just been too busy to create a website or post it somewhere for download.

titusoates
10/05/2012, 08:17 AM
para is this still an ongoing project????