PDA

View Full Version : How to get a clown fish to host a anemone?

zac312
05/29/2011, 08:36 PM
i have a pair of true percula clown fish that i have had for a year now and i have a RBTA for about 4 months now and the clownfish dont seem to want to host it they would rather host the left corner of the tank is there any tricks to get them to host the anemone?

Reef1589
05/29/2011, 08:42 PM
these are just things ive heard that have worked for some people
1) tape a pic of clownfish in an anemone on the glass (never worked for me)
2) shining a light above the anemone when the lights are off overnight
3) seperate the two from the bigger tank and isolate the 2 together in a smaller tank kinda forced hosting, but could be dangerous (i never done it)

but a gig is the tru host for a percula i beleive, ive heard of people waiting 2 years before their percs hosting a bta..

i had a pair of percs for a couple months, and htey didnt bother with my bta, so i went out and got the natural host to the bta (maroon clownfish) , and they hosted within a couple of hours..

hope this helps :D

zac312
05/29/2011, 08:44 PM
3) seperate the two from the bigger tank and isolate the 2 together in a smaller tank kinda forced hosting, but could be dangerous (i never done it)

but a gig is the tru host for a percula i beleive, ive heard of people waiting 2 years before their percs hosting a bta..

i had a pair of percs for a couple months, and htey didnt bother with my bta, so i went out and got the natural host to the bta (maroon clownfish) , and they hosted within a couple of hours..

number three is to riskey and takes up to much time i cant do number 1 because i ran out of ink in my printer ill try number 2 though

MA4446
05/30/2011, 12:36 AM
Thanks for asking this question. Got the same prob...

e46slc
05/30/2011, 12:09 PM
Maybe try to put some food around the rbta and see if they'll go over and get the food.

kingfisherflesh
05/30/2011, 12:17 PM
I have heard that big wholesalers/importers/stores will float the anemone (you have seen them being floated in LFS's most likely) and just put the clownfish in there with them.

I will be doing this in a couple weeks most likely, and have been told that the success rate is over 90%...I think it is probably the easiest way.

organism
05/30/2011, 12:23 PM
I have heard that big wholesalers/importers/stores will float the anemone (you have seen them being floated in LFS's most likely) and just put the clownfish in there with them.

I will be doing this in a couple weeks most likely, and have been told that the success rate is over 90%...I think it is probably the easiest way.

+1, I've seen that one work tons of times as long as the anemone is healthy, or just put it into a tiny tank that's just big enough for the clown and the nem for a few days.

d0nniec
05/30/2011, 12:28 PM
mine took about 3 months. Just came back one day and randomly started hosting it. Is the anenome close to where the clown hangs out?

davocean
05/30/2011, 12:31 PM
Confining a clownfish to a small area w/ a nem it has not adapted to can end badly for the clown, just so you guys know.

zac312
05/30/2011, 12:41 PM
mine took about 3 months. Just came back one day and randomly started hosting it. Is the anenome close to where the clown hangs out?

my clowns hang out on the left top corner of my tank and the anemone is on a rock on the right bottom corner of my 4ft tank.

davocean
05/30/2011, 12:45 PM
I have read many times of the picture trick working, worth a try, not much risk or $$ involved.

zac312
05/30/2011, 12:47 PM
I have read many times of the picture trick working, worth a try, not much risk or $$ involved.

my printer ran out of ink like 4 months ago and we never replaced it

kingfisherflesh
05/30/2011, 12:50 PM
Confining a clownfish to a small area w/ a nem it has not adapted to can end badly for the clown, just so you guys know.

Method of choice by the biggest, and most professional saltwater importer in the nation, or at least in my mind. Quality Marine.

zac312
05/30/2011, 01:01 PM
my guess is the reason there not hosting it is because they are so far away ive never seen my clown's leave the left corner of the tank for farther than a foot and the nem was all the way on the other side of them tank so what i did is if the clowns are not going to go to the nem i will bring the nem to the clowns so i moved the rock that the nem was on now they are about 5in away from each other so lets hope this works

zac312
05/30/2011, 01:13 PM
my guess is the reason there not hosting it is because they are so far away ive never seen my clown's leave the left corner of the tank for farther than a foot and the nem was all the way on the other side of them tank so what i did is if the clowns are not going to go to the nem i will bring the nem to the clowns so i moved the rock that the nem was on now they are about 5in away from each other so lets hope this works

over the course of the last 5 min or so they have been slowly getting closer to the nem lets hope this works

kingfisherflesh
05/30/2011, 01:16 PM
over the course of the last 5 min or so they have been slowly getting closer to the nem lets hope this works

Squirt small portions of food into the anemone...this will encourage them to come as close as possible, and hopefully even bump into it.

davocean
05/30/2011, 01:32 PM
Squirt small portions of food into the anemone...this will encourage them to come as close as possible, and hopefully even bump into it.

That I can agree with.
Once they discover it and hopefully become curious they will accept that as host.

davocean
05/30/2011, 01:37 PM
my printer ran out of ink like 4 months ago and we never replaced it

There are other ways of getting a pic if you wanted to try that method, neighbors/friends/library.

davocean
05/30/2011, 01:40 PM
Method of choice by the biggest, and most professional saltwater importer in the nation, or at least in my mind. Quality Marine.

You're talking about what a business does that needs sales and expects a certain amount of losses.
This is a very different situation compared to someone here that has purchased and become attached to their one pair of clowns, and asking for safe and sound advice.

zac312
05/30/2011, 01:48 PM
That I can agree with.
Once they discover it and hopefully become curious they will accept that as host.

so far the male has been getting real close the the anemone and i put some food by the anemone and he went and bit one of the tenticles of the anemone

davocean
05/30/2011, 01:52 PM
Biting or sucking on the tentacles is the very beginning of adapting to sting cells, I would bet this increases and he'll be in there before long.

kingfisherflesh
05/30/2011, 01:58 PM
That I can agree with.

Glad to agree on something...this is probably where I would start if the nem is already in tank. Hard to float one when it is attached to the rock etc.

You're talking about what a business does that needs sales and expects a certain amount of losses.
This is a very different situation compared to someone here that has purchased and become attached to their one pair of clowns, and asking for safe and sound advice.

This is true, but my brother has never seen one of these pairings go wrong.

Like I have said before, he estimates over 90% success.

By this logic, people might as well not trust birth control.

zac312
05/30/2011, 02:04 PM
Biting or sucking on the tentacles is the very beginning of adapting to sting cells, I would bet this increases and he'll be in there before long.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! lol

kingfisherflesh
05/30/2011, 02:12 PM
Sweet glad to see that it worked out. :)

zac312
05/30/2011, 02:28 PM
i think the female is holding eggs as well she looks like a fat chick that just got done at the buffet and the pair have been acting like there about to spawn. :)

youpey
05/30/2011, 02:28 PM

i have gotten #2 to work within minutes using a cell phone light. on a different tank with different fish and different anemone it didnt. i guess it is hit and miss

zac312
05/30/2011, 03:45 PM
they looked like they were gonna start hosting then they quit so i gave up and put the anemone back were it first was im prolley going to wait untill they start laying eggs, she is holding eggs right now so anyday now they will start and im prolley going to sell them and buy wild caught clowns instead.

kingfisherflesh
05/30/2011, 03:46 PM
i think the female is holding eggs as well she looks like a fat chick that just got done at the buffet and the pair have been acting like there about to spawn. :)

You will see them cleaning off the nearest flat space to the anemone...or whatever area that they are hosting. I have gotten percs to spawn several times...not much to it. Its rearing the young that is difficult. :spin2:

zac312
05/30/2011, 03:58 PM
You will see them cleaning off the nearest flat space to the anemone...or whatever area that they are hosting. I have gotten percs to spawn several times...not much to it. Its rearing the young that is difficult. :spin2:

they started off and on for the last 3 days

kingfisherflesh
05/31/2011, 03:02 PM
Awesome, keep us posted! :)

zac312
05/31/2011, 03:04 PM
will do

kingfisherflesh
06/26/2011, 10:04 AM
Cant find the other thread that we were discussing this in, but as stated I got my BTA in yesterday and I used the floating acclimation box.

The BTA had barely put its foot down when I added the two clowns...

The small one went in first, and avoided the anemone. The large one went in second, and immediately dove into it.

They are now both harassing it insanely...and I am more concerned for the anemone than I am for the clownfish...it works.

xtlosx
06/26/2011, 10:09 AM
I was in the same boat as you since February, but then end of may we caught our saddleback in our gbta at night.... Some weeks later she went in every so often, and now she goes in there all of the time.

Point of my story, patience and nature, as well as instincts will kick in.

Toddrtrex
06/26/2011, 10:13 AM
IMO, putting an anemone and clown in a confined space to force hosting is a very bad idea. Could very well end up with an eaten clown.

snorvich
06/26/2011, 10:42 AM
Cant find the other thread that we were discussing this in, but as stated I got my BTA in yesterday and I used the floating acclimation box.

The BTA had barely put its foot down when I added the two clowns...

The small one went in first, and avoided the anemone. The large one went in second, and immediately dove into it.

They are now both harassing it insanely...and I am more concerned for the anemone than I am for the clownfish...it works.

I have had clowns kill anemones that were not well established.

kingfisherflesh
06/30/2011, 03:16 PM
IMO, putting an anemone and clown in a confined space to force hosting is a very bad idea. Could very well end up with an eaten clown.

Agreed, but it very rarely works out that way. People who have introduced tank raised clowns this way have almost never had issues. I welcome anyone who has tried this method to post negative results...they just arent out there.

I have had clowns kill anemones that were not well established.

This was my biggest concern...should have just waited. The foot is down now...and both appear to be happy.

kingfisherflesh
06/30/2011, 03:19 PM
I was in the same boat as you since February, but then end of may we caught our saddleback in our gbta at night.... Some weeks later she went in every so often, and now she goes in there all of the time.

Point of my story, patience and nature, as well as instincts will kick in.

If anemone hosting was as easy as instinct...all these threads on getting clowns to host wouldnt exist.

As far as begin in the same boat, it doesnt sound like we ever were because my female went into the anemone in the strawberry box right away.

We should start a thread for those with first hand experience of "force" hosting.

There is room for the clowns to move around in there without being in contact with the anemone...about the same amount of room that they were "hosting" in the corner of my tank before I netted them into there. About to remove the anemone and put it into the DT...will post updates.

kingfisherflesh
06/30/2011, 03:55 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2038597

Link to my acclimation box method thread.

davocean
06/30/2011, 06:47 PM
Rather than waiting for someone to brag about a failure(which almost never happens out of embaressment) why not search out posts that have already happened.
I've seen many.
There have been a few people lately really encouraging irresponsible practices because they got lucky once, or their brothers friend saw this happen once, blah blah...
I don't understand the lack of patience or disagreements w/ people who have been on here for a while reading as much or more than posting.
Do you think exp reefers sit here and wonder how we can bum someone out, or feel cooler than others or something?
I don't get it, most of us are just giving sound advice based on LONG TERM reading and or experiences in order to help, that's it.
I've read stories of people falling out of an airplane w/out a parachute and living, should we start advising jumping w/out a chute because we lack the patience to pack one??LOL
Patience is your best friend in this hobby.

1fishkeeper
06/30/2011, 06:59 PM
If anemone hosting was as easy as instinct...all these threads on getting clowns to host wouldnt exist.

And most of everyone that asks this question has not been in the hobby very long. And that is part of the fun is learning about the life that you take into your hands to care for it the rest of its life. So your trying to say is that if you lived out in the wild you wouldnt look for a place that you could call home. Some where that you felt safe and sound. Yes for awhile you would wander around but after you figure out that hey a roof over my head sure does make things nice. Even humans have the feelings. Even though we dont really use them as much as we should because we learn from our parents and they learned from theres and so on and so forth.

Toddrtrex
06/30/2011, 08:07 PM
There have been a few people lately really encouraging irresponsible practices because they got lucky once, or their brothers friend saw this happen once, blah blah...
I don't understand the lack of patience or disagreements w/ people who have been on here for a while reading as much or more than posting.
Patience is your best friend in this hobby.

I have noticed that a lo too lately, and it is a bit disheartening, and frustrating.

davocean
06/30/2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah it is, and maybe my example was extreme, but my point is don't be a cheerleader for the rare exceptions, especially to newbies asking for safe and sound advice.

Toddrtrex
06/30/2011, 09:33 PM
Yeah it is, and maybe my example was extreme, but my point is don't be a cheerleader for the rare exceptions, especially to newbies asking for safe and sound advice.

And that is the reason I keep banging my head against the wall -- don't want newbies to take this as gospel.

kingfisherflesh
07/01/2011, 12:49 PM
And most of everyone that asks this question has not been in the hobby very long. And that is part of the fun is learning about the life that you take into your hands to care for it the rest of its life. So your trying to say is that if you lived out in the wild you wouldnt look for a place that you could call home. Some where that you felt safe and sound. Yes for awhile you would wander around but after you figure out that hey a roof over my head sure does make things nice. Even humans have the feelings. Even though we dont really use them as much as we should because we learn from our parents and they learned from theres and so on and so forth.

The fact that tank raised clowns do not associate with hosts is strong evidence that this is a "learned" behavior. So is the fact that "showing" clowns images of others hosting will encourage them to do the same. Learned behaviors are intrinsically, non-instinctive. The fact that you are trying to give clowns human emotions is pretty un-scientific, along with the rest of your statement. Fyi...not a newb in this hobby...not a newb clown or anemone keeper either.

I dont think, and have seen no evidence, that this is a rare exception. In fact so far I think the evidence would support the opposite claim. In my thread, there are more success stories than there are failures.

Toddrtrex
07/01/2011, 12:56 PM
The fact that tank raised clowns do not associate with hosts is strong evidence that this is a "learned" behavior. So is the fact that "showing" clowns images of others hosting will encourage them to do the same. Learned behaviors are intrinsically, non-instinctive. The fact that you are trying to give clowns human emotions is pretty un-scientific, along with the rest of your statement. Fyi...not a newb in this hobby...not a newb clown or anemone keeper either.

The fact that tank raised clowns do not associate with hosts is strong evidence that this is a "learned" behavior.

Where is this "fact" coming from? If they don't associate with hosts, how come numerous members (( myself included )) have (( either currently or in the past )) tank raised clowns hosted by anemones?

So is the fact that "showing" clowns images of others hosting will encourage them to do the same.
How is this a fact??? The "fact" of the matter is if the clowns were actually effected by the picture, they would be more apt to attack the clowns in the picture.

The fact that you are trying to give clowns human emotions is pretty un-scientific, along with the rest of your statement How can you accuse someone of being un-scientific when you you have stated 2 things as "fact" that are no where near being facts?

kingfisherflesh
07/01/2011, 01:04 PM
Where is this "fact" coming from? If they don't associate with hosts, how come numerous members (( myself included )) have (( either currently or in the past )) tank raised clowns hosted by anemones?

How is this a fact??? The "fact" of the matter is if the clowns were actually effected by the picture, they would be more apt to attack the clowns in the picture.

How can you accuse someone of being un-scientific when you you have stated 2 things as "fact" that are no where near being facts?

How arent they facts? Tank raised clowns dont host. That is the whole reason these posts exist.

If showing a picture of a clown hosting...encourages clowns to host (as is evidenced by numerous stories of people doing so on this website, and advice from others to do so on this website)...so how is that not evidence of them "learning" that behavior.

I like your style of science, no experiment, no control, no evidence. All "He said I couldnt do it so I cant". The point of the matter is that most of the people that are talking this idea down, havent ever tried it.

Your clownfish is going to spend a lot of time in the tentacles of the anemone. If that anemone gets hungry, and the slime coat is weak it wins. Doesnt matter if it is in DT, or anywhere else.

Toddrtrex
07/01/2011, 01:14 PM
My replies in red

How arent they facts? Tank raised clowns dont host. That is the whole reason these posts exist.

First, the clown is hosted, and doesn't do the hosting. YOUR tank raised clowns weren't hosted in the amount of time that you wanted. That does not mean that all tank raised clowns aren't hosted. If that was the case, why were my tank raised A. polymnus hosted by an S. Haddoni, my A ocellaris hosted by an M. doreensis, and A. Clarkii hosted by both (( at separate times )) an E. Quadricolor and an S. Haddoni?? I am not the only one that has had tank raised clowns hosted, so therefore your "fact" isn't a fact at all.

If showing a picture of a clown hosting...encourages clowns to host (as is evidenced by numerous stories of people doing so on this website, and advice from others to do so on this website)...so how is that not evidence of them "learning" that behavior.

How do you know that they clowns weren't about to be hosted anyways? There is no control, so therefore there is no proof that a picture is the reason the clowns were hosted. Also, above you stated taht tank raised clowns aren't hosted, if that is true, a picture wouldn't matter anyways. Again, if the clowns were truly affected by the picture, they would attack the intruding clowns

I like your style of science, no experiment, no control, no evidence. All "He said I couldnt do it so I cant".

pot, met kettle

Your clownfish is going to spend a lot of time in the tentacles of the anemone. If that anemone gets hungry, and the slime coat is weak it wins. Doesnt matter if it is in DT, or anywhere else.

So, now a "hungry" anemone will eat the clowns it is hosting? Shocking that, even though I have gone months without feeding my anemones the clowns weren't eaten.

xtlosx
07/01/2011, 01:18 PM
I have a tank raised saddleback that after 5 months, is now being hosted by both my RBTA & GBTA....

seems like the one posters statement has now gone out the window..

next....

jimmy_beaner
07/01/2011, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure if this will help the thread... but my tank raised Percs get rather upset when I put pictures of other clowns by the tank. They swim more aggressively and retreat away from the pictures. They do this to an even more extreme degree with a video placed against the glass.

this is me
07/01/2011, 01:28 PM
Tank raised clowns dont host. That is the whole reason these posts exist.

WTH?!
My Rod's Onyx hosted the first day I put it in the tank! They are about 2.5yrs old now and still being hosted in every anemone I put in the tank.

SkullV
07/01/2011, 01:39 PM

Your reasoning could not be more false. The reason people have an issue getting clowns to host is because they do not offer their clowns the correct type of host anemone. Go get yourself a pair of tank raised maroon clowns and a BTA. I can almost guarantee you that when you wake up the next morning the maroons will be happily sleeping in the BTA. Or try a pair of Clarkii and any host anemone.

Your issue was that you were putting clowns who do not normally associate with a BTA together with a BTA. The only fact in your posts is that what you are doing is bad advice and should not be emulated by people who read your posts in the future.

garygb
07/01/2011, 01:39 PM
You wrote: "How to get a clown fish to host a anemone?"

If you're up for the challenge, get an anemone like H. magnifica, a natural host and provide it with the conditions it needs. The mag will be playing host to your percs pronto.

Patrick Cox
07/01/2011, 01:49 PM
I currently have two percs and a BTA. The percs have not shown any interest in the BTA but I should also disclose that it has only been a week or two. So, how long should I wait before I consider trading out my percs for a maroon or clarkii?

Thanks!
Pat

SkullV
07/01/2011, 01:57 PM
I currently have two percs and a BTA. The percs have not shown any interest in the BTA but I should also disclose that it has only been a week or two. So, how long should I wait before I consider trading out my percs for a maroon or clarkii?

Thanks!
Pat

If you like your percs, then never. If you are more interested in a hosting relationship then your percs, I would trade them immediately.

garygb
07/01/2011, 01:59 PM
Patrick, often times BTAs will serve as surrogate hosts for percs in tanks, but it's hardly a given. I don't know if there is any way to say, "give it x amount of time, if it hasn't happened by then, go with a natural combo."

I can say, tomato, clarkii, maroons, etc. would likely go to your BTA in hours, if not minutes.

Patrick Cox
07/01/2011, 03:10 PM
Patrick, often times BTAs will serve as surrogate hosts for percs in tanks, but it's hardly a given. I don't know if there is any way to say, "give it x amount of time, if it hasn't happened by then, go with a natural combo."

I can say, tomato, clarkii, maroons, etc. would likely go to your BTA in hours, if not minutes.

I called the LFS where I bought the percs and the BTA and he said that a maroon would "wreak havok on my tank." Are maroons or clark's really that bad? Right now I have no other fish in my tank and I don't plan to have a lot of fish. Mainly the clown(s) and one or two more at the most. But if I could get a really good hosting relationship, I may be satisfied with only the clowns.

Thanks
Pat

garygb
07/01/2011, 03:43 PM
Maroons are aggressive (the most) clownfish toward other fish. Clarkii isn't much better. If you have no other fish, then it shouldn't be a problem. If your BTA is toward the bottom of your tank and you have a sandbed, then the clowns might dig. To solve that problem, locate the rock the BTA is attached to mid-way up, the fish will be less inclined to leave the anemone and go to the bottom of the tank and move sand around.

Once the maroons, clarkii, tomatoes, etc. get established in the BTA, they become very territorial and will attack larger fish and you if you put your hand near their anemone. They're especially aggressive when they have a batch of eggs that they're guarding.

You definitely wouldn't want to mix your percs with maroons or clarkii. Percs are the gentlest species and maroons are the most aggressive. You can imagine how that would end. In general, you never want to mix different species of clownfish together. They're especially aggressive when they have a batch of eggs that they're guarding.

If you do decide to go with one of the natural clownfish species for your BTA, you will want to get small fish and let the anemone/clowns grow together. A maroon or clarkii that is too large for the anemone can wreck havoc and ultimately kill an inappropriately small BTA. The rule of thumb is 3 times the diameter of the anemone/inch of fish (e.g., 2 inch fish, 6 inch anemone).

davocean
07/01/2011, 06:33 PM

That's ridiculous, my piccaso's are obviously tank raised, and um, look at my avatar...

davocean
07/01/2011, 06:36 PM

Thanks!
Pat

A week is nothing, just be patient.
If I were to go down my list of personal experience and my reading here, Clarki's and maroons do seem to be the most eager to take to a host, but also a couple of the most aggressive.
Occs seem to be the slowest.
Your percs will almost certainly find your BTA and accept that in due time.

jimmy_beaner
07/01/2011, 07:25 PM
If I were to go down my list of personal experience and my reading here, Clarki's and maroons do seem to be the most eager to take to a host, but also a couple of the most aggressive.

I hope you're right... I have tank raised true percs and the RBTA I got in hopes for a symbiosis was added 4 months ago. I've seen them touch it and there's no stinging involved any more (assuming initially there may have been). Now they will rarely brush against it and it just slides off them. But, they just don't seem interested in it.

davocean
07/01/2011, 07:33 PM
I hope you're right... I have tank raised true percs and the RBTA I got in hopes for a symbiosis was added 4 months ago. I've seen them touch it and there's no stinging involved any more (assuming initially there may have been). Now they will rarely brush against it and it just slides off them. But, they just don't seem interested in it.

Sometimes fish are just weird man, my picasso's took to frogspawn quickly, then bounced from that to a monti cap, then an LTA, then I did a nem specific w/ all BTA's, and everyone of those nems were accepted by them very quickly.
The bummer was the BTA's made them lose black color, so I pulled all BTA's.
Then I replaced that w/ a single Malu.
They seemed a bit confused after that, but that was greatly my fault on the musical chairs thing.
It took 4 months for them to finally take to my Malu(and I'm not changing anything now) but now that is home, and they almost never leave it.(and they've been spawning for some time now underneath it)

garygb
07/01/2011, 08:14 PM
It's been my experience on multiple occasions, that Percs and occelaris (tank-raised included) go to mags immediately--not even minutes. I've heard that sometimes if a perc or ocellaris is already being hosted in a surrogate, sometimes it takes a few days for the clown to abandon the surrogate for a mag, however.

aperry2728
01/04/2012, 09:55 PM
Ok I'm gonna try a few of these techniques. Am having trouble with the hosting too. Kind of tried the food technique squirting food next to it but there was already food in the tank. Ill wait till tm to try it again. In 15 mins I'll try the flashlight trick.

Keep you all posted with what works.

aperry2728
01/04/2012, 10:52 PM
Ok that failed miserably, tried the flashlight trick and couldnt even get the clownfish to move. Next move I printed 2 pictures of clownfish hosting anemone and taped them to the the front and side of the tank. I kind of feel silly doing this but oh well worth a shot. We'll see what happens tomorrow when the lights come on.

nicodim55
01/04/2012, 11:33 PM
Sometimes fish are just weird man, my picasso's took to frogspawn quickly, then bounced from that to a monti cap, then an LTA, then I did a nem specific w/ all BTA's, and everyone of those nems were accepted by them very quickly.
The bummer was the BTA's made them lose black color, so I pulled all BTA's.
Then I replaced that w/ a single Malu.
They seemed a bit confused after that, but that was greatly my fault on the musical chairs thing.
It took 4 months for them to finally take to my Malu(and I'm not changing anything now) but now that is home, and they almost never leave it.(and they've been spawning for some time now underneath it)

Ok I guess I'll share my frustration too:sad2::blown: Mine rather host this than the rbta. Not the best pic but you get the idea:sad2:

psusocr
01/05/2012, 12:43 PM
patience is a virtue

aperry2728
01/05/2012, 03:45 PM
well the pictures on the wall aren't working yet. I'll leave them up for a while more.

I ran into another problem. yikes!! someone please help me here. while trying the technique of doing the flashlight on the anemone to try and get the clownfish there. I shined the flashlight on the anemone for a while when all the lights were off and the clownfish wouldnt even go next to it. well today the anemone is looking really weak. before, it was a beautiful anemone so healthy looking and now it is all shrivled and weak. did i mess up my anemone by shining the light on it? hope not. maybe there is another explanation. if there is im not sure what it would be.

2 more updates. i just got a powerhead i installed 5 minutes ago so maybe that will help. another thing is i tried to feed the clownfish today near the anemone so they would get used to one another. I thought this might work cuz when i put the turkey bastor with food in it in the tank the clownfish immediately go near it in search for food. They still wont go all the way down near the rock for some reason. This could be because i have a damsel in there that i used to cycle my tank. i tried to catch it but i can't he is too quick and too smart. he is toying with me, that little ****er. anyways maybe the clowns are scared of it im gonna try and get it out of there by taking out all the rock and getting it with the net. unless there is a way someone knows how to get it.

please help me, the main concern is getting the anemone healthy.

garygb
01/06/2012, 09:07 PM
nicodem, that elephant ear will eat your clown. You should get it out immediately.

nicodim55
01/06/2012, 09:53 PM
nicodem, that elephant ear will eat your clown. You should get it out immediately.

:fun2: haha yeah I know that's what I thought too but the elephant ear I think realizes that its clowns rubbing on him and its fine. Thx for the concern though I just wish they would just move 2' to the right on the nem rock:fun2:

garygb
01/07/2012, 10:40 AM
Ok, I hope you're right. I don't think that species would care if it's a clownfish or not, since in nature they never host clownfish, but at least you're aware that one day you might wake up with no clownfish.

nicodim55
01/07/2012, 11:46 AM
Ok, I hope you're right. I don't think that species would care if it's a clownfish or not, since in nature they never host clownfish, but at least you're aware that one day you might wake up with no clownfish.

:lolspin: haha ok I'll take that under advisement. I think the clown thinks its a carpet nem coz when its fully open it flattens out like a carpet. All day its like that never closes until night time when lights go out then the clown leaves and hugs the back wall:lolspin:

garygb
01/07/2012, 05:19 PM
Ocellaris will occasionally take up with a variety of things that aren't natural hosts. Here's a link that discusses that species of mushroom. It even mentions that clownfish are lured in and then eaten.

http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs/Giant-Cup-Mushroom

aperry2728
01/09/2012, 10:12 PM
alright, an update on my experiment in case anyone cares. All the techniques so far have failed. I tried taping pictures of an anenome hosted by a clown over the tank for a few days now and nothing happened. the flashlight trick definately didn't work as well, nothing happened. i tried squirting food next to the anemone but the clowns still wouldn't go near it. im going to try tomorrow the technique of putting them both in a smaller tank and see if that works, i guess its the last one left. i know it doesn't disprove anything but at least in one situation these techniques are bogus.

psusocr
01/10/2012, 07:43 AM
Its much easier to just wait it out and be patient, no stress on any of th animals. They will go in eventually with some luck sooner than later. But to move them around is only going to stress them, when they are ready and comfotable they will go in esp. if its one of their natural hosts.all of the "tricks" your trying are hit and miss some work some wont but its worth the shot since your not hurting anything, but i disagree with people trying to "force" there clowns in the nem by secluding them in a small space with the nem. It could end up in death

M Woodhill
01/10/2012, 02:11 PM

the chance is really 50/50, if not slim

one pair of my percs spent a few months findin the RBTA nothin

then jumped into the gig after i traded that RBTA for it

probably for those BTA's with less bubble shape tips, the chance becomes bigger, since in that appearance it looks more like a sebae or mag

C5flyboy
01/14/2012, 02:12 AM
I'm rather new to keeping nems and clowns, that being said here is my story. I started out last July with two very small(hadn't turned to male and female yet) tank raised orange occs because my wife wanted two Nemo clowns. About two months ago I added a green BTA to my tank and I didn't do any of the number of different ways that I have read on just this thread of how to get the clowns into the nem. Within two days my two clowns were inseparable with the BTA. So anyone who says tank raised clowns won't host is crazy. I will and do believe that tank raised may be more difficult or take longer than wild caught clowns to host because they have never seen an anemone before but I have living proof that tank raised clowns host just fine.

Bdeppen
03/06/2013, 02:17 PM
I tried target feeding my BTA the clowns food and they were shy but went in slowly to eat. Problem I'm having is my cleaner shrimp has no issue diving right in and getting the food. So in trying to keep him at bay while feeding. I'm more worried about him ending up an a meal for my BTA. This method seemed to be the safest and make the most sense.

nimrod_69r
02/05/2014, 05:03 PM
hi all this is my first post I am new to keeping a reef and I have found this site invaluable with lots of helpful advise and I just thought I would share my experience. I have a Green BTA and two tank bred perc clowns that I desperately wanted to host and tonight Success.

I have been feeding my nem direct via a syringe, (one of the ones out of a test kit), Whilst doing this I have been puffing small amounts in the clowns direction. After a few weeks of the clowns starting to associate the syringe with food they start to follow it. Last night I managed to get one to follow it all the way to the nem, the clown and the nem touched. Tonight I have come home and the nem is hosting the clown. It takes a bit of perseverance however I cant believe that its a coincidence. I hope this helps anyone looking for the same result.

nemmy
02/05/2014, 06:38 PM
Man this thread was brought back from the dead a few times. While clowns residing in an anemone is freaking adorable it kinda ruins the fish. Clownfish become extremely boring once the put up residence in an anemone. They don't explore much and just sit there like bums. Don't rush your fish into becoming bums.

sh0ck
02/05/2014, 07:07 PM
They will associate with anything else later anyway and sit like bums there protecting their home. At least in anemone they are looking cute.