PDA

View Full Version : urgent help needed! formalin use

fsbbn@hotmail
05/30/2011, 11:10 AM
Can someone please tell me if it is alright to have protein skimmers and UV on while using formalin for a long term bath?

Also, i got the 10% BY VOLUME. What is the dosage for a long bath (in QT tank) procedure? I am assuming it is 4 times the 37% by volume sold by fish vet.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

b0bab0ey
05/30/2011, 03:13 PM
I would turn off both the protein skimmer and UV while treating. The dosage part I'm not sure about...

fsbbn@hotmail
05/30/2011, 03:44 PM
I agree with turning off the UV. The issue with turning off the skimmer is that, it adds a lot of oxygen to the water that is removed by the formalin. I am afraid to turn it off but if it is getting skimmed off then I guess i should turn it off.

The question I have is that, formalin usually has a life of 12-24 hrs before evaporating off or loosing its potency. Is it worth leaving the skimmer on and dozing ever 12 to 24 hours?

Any one have issues with this?

thanks.

MrTuskfish
05/31/2011, 10:49 AM
I agree with turning off the UV. The issue with turning off the skimmer is that, it adds a lot of oxygen to the water that is removed by the formalin. I am afraid to turn it off but if it is getting skimmed off then I guess i should turn it off.

The question I have is that, formalin usually has a life of 12-24 hrs before evaporating off or loosing its potency. Is it worth leaving the skimmer on and dozing ever 12 to 24 hours?

Any one have issues with this?

thanks.

I don't even see a reason for a skimmer in a QT tank.

fsbbn@hotmail
05/31/2011, 03:21 PM
I was using the skimeer to add oxygen and keep the PH up. Without LR or substrate the Ph often falls to 7.6. With the skimmer on i can keep it at 7.8. I think i will just remove the cup.

I think the fish have brooke. I am treating with a doze of formalin and chloroquine phosphate. I do not think it is velvet as all fish are still alive and 90% of them eating. This has been a very stressful experience.

steelhead77
05/31/2011, 09:01 PM
I would not use a skimmer while treating with formalyn. This should be done in a bare hospital tank - no rock, no sand - nothing but the fish you're treating and maybe a piece of pvc or two for hiding in. Use an airpump with an airstone to keep the water oxygenated.

Good luck.

MrTuskfish
06/01/2011, 06:10 AM
i would not use a skimmer while treating with formalyn. This should be done in a bare hospital tank - no rock, no sand - nothing but the fish you're treating and maybe a piece of pvc or two for hiding in. Use an airpump with an airstone to keep the water oxygenated.

Good luck.
+1