PDA

View Full Version : Sushi nori?

DownwardDawg
05/31/2011, 11:56 AM
The nori we use at home for sushi...is that suitable for fish? Is that the dumbest question ever asked here? :uhoh2:

Also, what is the best for tangs and other fish?

Palting
05/31/2011, 12:10 PM
Dumbest? Nah, not by a long shot. I've asked much dumber one's :D.

So long as the sushi sheet is unseasoned, should be good to go. In fact, that's what I feed my 4 tangs. Cheaper to get unseasoned nori at an Asian store than to get the dried seaweed from the lfs.

Best to feed? LIVE seaweed. I have grape caulerpa in my refugium, and I feed some of the trimmings. Pods also fall out, so the 6 line and the mandarin have a feast as well. I've even tried it. Tastes pretty good, actually :D. tWARNING: if you don't have tangs, be careful, as the caulerpa trimmings can take hold and grow and take over your tank.

DownwardDawg
05/31/2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks. I had grape caulerpa almost completely take over my 20 gal tank. I hate it! It was a battle that lasted months. How about chaeto? I plan on that in my refugium.
One more question, what kind of tangs do you keep together since you have 4?

DownwardDawg
05/31/2011, 12:38 PM
:reading:

disc1
05/31/2011, 01:03 PM
Chaeto isn't very good for food. It's mostly just nutrient export.

The sushi noori is exactly the stuff you want. Make sure it is unflavored. The ingredients list should say seaweed or roasted seaweed and nothing more.

Palting
05/31/2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks. I had grape caulerpa almost completely take over my 20 gal tank. I hate it! It was a battle that lasted months. How about chaeto? I plan on that in my refugium.
One more question, what kind of tangs do you keep together since you have 4?

Chaeto tastes terrible :D. Some say lettuce is OK, but I don't like feeding land based food to sea based life.

I have a Purple, a Hippo, a Naso, and a Tennenti. Just make sure they have different shapes, and they should be fine. As an example, I can no longer get a sailfin or a yellow tang, since their shape is too simillar to the purple. Here's a pic:
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/Kalawing/Aquarium/IMG_1423.jpg

DownwardDawg
05/31/2011, 01:49 PM
Nice tangs!

Thanks disc.