PDA

View Full Version : unstable pH readings and buffer question

wizzbane15
05/31/2011, 01:25 PM
I have been having a very difficult time getting my pH to stay in the proper reef tank range of 8.2-8.3. My pH seems to want to continuously fall to the 7.5 range. I have been trying to combat this by using Seachem reef buffer but I find that I am going through containers very quickly and not getting a good stable pH any higher than 7.8 or 7.9. This has also inhibitted me from getting a drip system started as I cannot get the pH high enough to begin without using 6-8 times what the dosage is on the Seachem buffer.

Does any one have idea on why the pH would consistently stay low and if there may be a better product or two for keeping the pH at an optimal range? I tried using the HSB Bio-Blocks for a while and those helped, bu the excess nutrients and trace elemants that the blocks added were not worth the hassle so I stopeed using them and now I am back to square one trying to find a new solution for combatting the pH issues.

For what it is worth, I have an RKE and monitor the pH from 2 different points in the system and both track the same and noth seem to settle into a daily range of 7.48-7.76 (daily low and high points). My buffer works as each time I add the mix, the pH will spike up to 8.1-8.2 but then start marching back down.

Thanks

zigzag1
05/31/2011, 02:12 PM
My suggestions would be to not obsess, or even worry too much about pH. Your additons of 'buffer' could have drastic and potentially less desirable effects to the more important, but related parameters. Focus instead on keeping Alk, Ca, and Mg at the proper levels and let pH stabilize where it wants to be.

A couple of side suggestions that may help raise pH.. open a window - drive CO2 from the system and ph should increase. Kalkwasser users also tend to run a higher pH, in general. Also, have you calabrated your pH probes lately? HTH & GL!

wizzbane15
05/31/2011, 02:28 PM
I have recently calibrated my pH probes as they got out of whack a week or so ago and were showing pH levels of 9.5-10.5. These were obviously in error and happen to coincide with a firmware ugrade I did on my RKE which consequently reset my pH range settings.

So..... I recalibrated my probes and that is now where I have seen the overall level of my pH readings be substantially lower than I am used to seeing.

disc1
05/31/2011, 02:56 PM
What did you use to calibrate them? They might just be reading a little bit low.

pH buffers can become a vicious cycle where you add and add and all you end up doing is de-stabilizing the system leading to more low pH. Keep you alk in check and stable and the pH will stabilize.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/31/2011, 05:12 PM
pH buffers are never the best way to deal with low pH unless alkalinity is low. The alkalinity gets too high and the pH problem is not solved.

The cause is excess CO2 in the water, probably from your home air. Limewater and more aeration with fresh air are the best ways, and if the pH reaches pH 7.5, IMO you should do something.

This has more:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

kgross
05/31/2011, 05:13 PM
I will go along with what zigzag says, unless you pH is way off, don't worry about it. Adding buffers increases your alk, and only temporarily effects the pH. If your not having problems from a way off pH, just keep things stable. Besides they only real way to keep your pH up, is to remove the extra CO2 from your water, it is the CO2 causing the low pH.

Kim